1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, isn't that Bari's point? The government is so dictatorial that it perceives the natural origins of the outbreak theory as a black eye the regime cannot tolerate. Therefore, it was going to try to suppress outbreak research no matter what. Its malign motives are more sweeping than what some outsiders regard as its malign motives. Its suppression of research therefore cannot be regarded as a dispositive point for either theory.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not attributing motives to them, because anyone doing that is speculating. At least I haven't seen anything empirical to explain what they were invested in hiding and why.

I am just leaving it as "they have clearly not been transparent."

But . ... that still leaves the question about why they are not being transparent, of course. And what I was saying is that there are people pushing narratives who are then seizing on the lack of transparency to conclude that it supports their particular narrative, even though it may or may not.

It's somewhat similar to what is happening with the dueling "science!" narratives. It feels like you can genetically sequence the virus and see whatever you want to see. You have people pushing narratives (zoonatic leap vs. serial passaging / lab-based) who then jump on any scientific evidence that points to what they want you to believe, while ignoring the scientific evidence that points the other way.

3. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

Damn, the COVID thread is on Page 4. How far we've come.

4. The Big Ragu

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Got my Moderna No. 4 and my flu shot yesterday. Same arm. So far so good, other than the sore arm.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I haven't worn a mask anywhere since September. My kid finally is fully vaxxed and I got boosted in October so I'm not worried as much. A handful of my students have gotten it, but not near the numbers of last January. Wife bought Taylor Swift tickets and didn't mention Covid concerns. Even my dad (who was extremely worried monkey pox even though it was clear you weren't getting it without obvious contact) isn't talking about it any more.

People are moving on. It isn't a bad thing. Feels like we're getting back to normal.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I still see people wearing masks, though I haven't pulled mine out in a very long time. Maybe 20 percent of people were wearing them in the Charlotte airport on Sunday. I've said it before, but I respect anyone's choice in that regard. If wearing one makes you feel protected, by all means, wear away.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have to remind myself to have one on doctor’s visits. If I ever flew anymore, I still might do one on board though. Cabin air is atrocious even without Covid.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

I would wear one in the airport (traveling in less than a month and I will probably mask up; I'll also be traveling to stay in a home with two 86 year olds). Hell, I still pop one on when I go into the supermarket, and I immediately remove it when I leave the enclosed area where I am around strangers.

That said, I went to a wedding that I would estimate at around 400 people, 2 weekends ago, it was a very enclosed space, there were people breathing all over me. ... and I saw maybe 5 people masked up. We said "f it," and went maskless for the evening, which was the first time I would have considered that in that kind of setting since 2020. Wearing a mask wouldn't have just made me "feel" better protected, it would have "made" me protected better. If there was any covid in that room, my trusty KN95 was going to protect me from an infection better than even my vaccine.

But 1) we gave into peer pressure, 2) transmission rates are down, so at least there was a reduced chance that there was covid in the room, and 3) As much as I don't want to be sick, my main objective is not to die. And all the evidence is that the vaccine seems to be staving off death.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Still wearing a mask

on the subway

on the bus

in the taxi

in the airport

in the airplane

in the elevator

in the crowded indoor space

OscarMadison, PaperDoll and Dyno like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

also

bivalent boostered

and fluproofed

OscarMadison and Dyno like this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’d estimate a 15-20 percent mask rate around here.

Only place I’ve been recently where it’s still required is at my dentist. Not during the cleaning of course.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted