1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

China has finally locked down the city where it started, far too late. Last I heard the virus had spread to six other countries. Pray it does not mutate into a more virulent form. It has already gone from spreading from animal to human to human to human transmission. I'm not an epidemiologist by any stretch but I am acutely aware of what could happen, and it scares the hell out of me.

Rare and unusual, against the odds? Sure it is - but people keep winning the Powerball against very long odds, you know?

TigerVols and I Should Coco like this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hello, Texas.

Brazos County’s health department is investigating a suspected case of the the mystery pneumonia-like virus that has claimed 18 lives in China and was confirmed in the U.S. for the first time earlier this week.

The department said in a tweet that the patient had traveled from Wuhan, China, the district where the so-called 2019 novel coronavirus originated.

The case would be the first for the state of Texas. Roughly 90 miles outside of Houston, Brazos County is home to the cities of Bryan and Collegge (sic) Station, where Texas A&M University is located.

Another departmental tweet said health-care providers in the area were aware of public health guidance about the virus and quickly recognized the patient met the criteria for testing. The patient is being kept isolated at home.​

Brazos County investigating suspected case of novel coronavirus

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Texas was ground zero for the Ebola outbreak a few years ago too. Remember Nina Pham and her dog Bentley?

4. Neutral Corner

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I agree with this ... in part because someone with the disease is being hospitalized in the Pacific Northwest (the Seattle area).

It's also because I have read "Station Eleven," which begins with a flu virus from Asia that spreads rapidly and takes out the majority of humanity. Fiction, I know ...

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just announced: Top Rank card scheduled in Beijing Feb. 1 featuring junior middleweight champ Jose Ramirez vs. Victor Postol cancelled due to the virus.

7. Neutral Corner

I saw where a bunch of Chinese exchange students were turned away at the last minute as well. There's nothing happening here to panic over, and some folks are verging on it. Being aware and concerned is one thing, getting your bugout bag ready for your run to the survival bunker is another.

Coco, you should try John Ringo's "The Last Centurion". He's right wing as hell, but he's fun, and he's serious about the science and his descriptions of the reality if we got a no-shit pandemic are scary as hell.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Wuhan Flu ain’t nothing to fuck with.

justgladtobehere and Cosmo like this.
  11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Two week incubation, and for a significant part of that time, no fever. Since checking for a temperature is how they screen travelers, this is a big problem.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted