1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Idaho in full public-health disaster, Covid cases overwhelming its hospitals, forcing transfers to Spokane, Seattle, Walla Walla, etc., for treatment.

So Washingtonians who got the vaccine at a much higher rate can't access their local hospitals for elective surgeries, etc., because they're gonna be swamped by assholes from Idaho who won't get vaccinated taking up all the ICU beds, etc.

I wish these hospitals could just refuse to accept them. When a thousand or so Idahidiots start dying every day, maybe they'll start getting shots and wearing masks. Maybe. I frigging hate Idaho.

Wonder what Sarah Palin thinks about death panels in Idaho?

Idaho Hospitals, Overwhelmed With Covid-19 Patients, May Begin Rationing Care

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I can't like this post enough ... especially as someone who's lived in North Idaho for the past 12 years, and is finally moving out.

In 2009, when I moved here, there was plenty of Tea Party madness, a few leftover white supremacists, and the occasional nut who stockpiled food in a bunker and paid for everything with silver coins. But things were far less political, especially in the large-ish resort town where I live. Country Club-style Republicans (now known as "RINOs") held all the local positions, and they were at least competent as they ran the city council and school boards.

Most of all, there were still enough North Idaho natives around who, while conservative, enjoyed the outdoors more than politics and had a live-and-let-live philosophy.

The last five years have gone downhill fast. Trump's election, and then the pandemic, drew in not just ultra-conservative Californians but hate- and fear-filled exiles from the Portland and Seattle areas. They have overwhelmed the moderate Republicans and now have majorities on school boards, health department boards and (after November) city councils and county boards.

I can understand (though I disagree with) a lot of the traditional Republican arguments and issues. For the life of me, I can't understand why refusing the COVID vaccine, masks and any other restrictions is literally the hill these new North Idaho extremists want to die on.

As you say, Micro, it screws things up for the rest of us vaccinated folks who might have a health emergency, both here in Idaho and now in neighboring states.

It's not all about freedom, it's all about ME and making every single thing about politics. And I'm done with it.

4. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Exactly and kudos. I have nothing to add. Except how rich do the wealthy need to be to feel rich? A house in every metro? A Rolex for every time zone? It's just incredibly gross. Just filling space .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Octave likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the modern Republican Party can be said to have any ethos other than sucking Fatfuck's cock, it's that the government does not, should not, cannot and must not serve any positive function in society.

You gotta be a galactic level of stupid to ever vote any of those people for any remotely functional government position, especially local government.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Gosh, why won’t people go back to their service industry jobs!?!

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know the pundit's take on Newsom's landslide "re-election lite" this week is that it was a referendum on COVID-19 response.

But I agree with what Newsom said...he took it a step further, and proclaimed the result was a referendum on government...people overwhelmingly voted that government can and should do things. I hope the Dems in DC understand this...but I know they don't.

8. Neutral Corner

9. Neutral Corner

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A friend moved from SoCal to Coeur d'Alene about 2 years ago. Last year, I was talking to her on the phone during the height of the shutdowns, quarantines and masking. I told her the movie theaters are closed, most restaurants are closed, masks are required at markets, etc. She was almost bragging that Idaho had none of that. She had gone to the movies the night before. She was sitting in a restaurant talking to me on the phone. It's a wonderful place, no restrictions, no quarantines, blah blah blah.
    I am not a person who says "I told you so." But .....

Another friend who is very political had gone quiet on Facebook. He claims to be Libertarian but is as far right Republican as you can get. He hates Biden and deflects any criticism of Trump to criticism of Biden. He posted a year-old meme the other day, so I commented that he's been strangely quiet, especially considering Trump's 7/11 comment on 9/11. I told him that if Biden had done that, he would have been all over Biden's ass in a matter of seconds. He answered that he has been sick with pneumonia. I told him considering where he lives, I'm surprised he hasn't died already, but glad he's OK now. He lives in Florida. He likes the way DeSantis is governing the state, personal freedoms, etc.

SFIND and I Should Coco like this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

99 out of 100 people at Sea-Tac Airport told me they never heard of Laura Loomer.

The one person who did turned out to be her mother, changing planes for Vegas...

Draft saved Draft deleted