1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Awful news. Our condolences.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The vaccine is like a “deus ex machine.”

I wonder what would have eventually occurred if there was no vaccine on the way for years, or ever.

People are practically “mutinying” over being asked to tone down the holidays for one year.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Also, my deepest condolences to Amy.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Eventually it would reach something called “endemic equilibrium.” Where it’s not completely eradicated, but it can only pop up in small local outbreaks rather than a full-blown pandemic, because most of the population has already had it and has an immune response. It would really only be noticeable every few years when a critical mass of new people have been born who haven’t had it yet. It’s not exactly herd immunity, but it’s the natural rough equivalent.

I’m just guessing here, but the US would probably reach that point no later than next winter.

For countries that has successfully suppressed the virus for now, that would put them in an awfully tough spot. It’s hard to see how they could fully reopen anytime in the next few years without a vaccine and with relatively low population exposure. It would be seasonal, where they could loosen up a little in the summer then have to clamp back down in the winter.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Amy, and for the surrounding circumstances which make it so much more difficult and painful. May God comfort you and your family.

wicked likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry Amy for that news. Awful.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So sorry.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Sincere condolences from my family to yours, Amy.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Amy, I very sorry for your loss and the circumstances preventing traditional services.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good stuff, as usual.

Glad you're back posting.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I hope you'll get the chance to come together with family soon to celebrate her life. My deepest condolences and all the comforting vibes to you and your family.

Draft saved Draft deleted