1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah kids are mixing now but how much are they mixing now? A handful might not be a problem if they're hanging out with the same group. But now throw in mixing with hundreds whose families at various levels of risk and various levels of risky behaviors. And that's before we start talking about teachers.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are your neighborhood kids straying outside their isolation bubbles? Ours has been allowed to play with five kids from our neighborhood. But only after the parents discussed it and our isolation efforts. If any one of their parents was cavalier about safety protocols, their kids wouldn’t be in the group.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard to say.

One day a large group gathered for a "graduation" thingy. Various kids are always at the pool. There was a little Fourth of July parade about three dozen participated in. The other day someone organized some football drills for a group of 10 or so.

I have no idea what anyone's isolation bubble was.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm talking about not getting very far if they try to sue or push back some other way against the suspension.

5. outofplace

Do they actually have to prove that if the school has a rule against students taking pictures of other student without permission?

6. outofplace

Those weren't even the expectations at all schools March through June, though too many went that route. I can't imagine they would be the expectations anywhere for schools that start virtual now.

Grades from the time my daughter's school went virtual counted, though they did tweak the percentages. One of the ways to improve virtual learning is to raise expectations.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'll defer to @qtlaw who is actually trained to understand this, but the issue is whether the school can restrict the student's First Amendment right to post those photos with commentary with a policy that forbids taking pictures without everyone's knowledge. There are policies regarding taking photos of students, but usually that revolves around adults taking the photos. Schools (at least in California) require permission for a student's image to be used by the school on websites or other media releases. In class, we have a spiel about permission before recording because the CA policy is that people being recorded know they are being recorded.

But the sticky wicket here is does this policy violate First Amendment protections. If it does, the school can still do it if they need to do it to protect the learning environment. I don't think the school can claim it disrupts the learning environment, but the school could claim stepping on to campus is like stepping into a private space.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's cute that you think teams are going to report positives, especially when they have a key game the next week, a team they know they can beat next week and could be charged with a forfeit or its the playoffs.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They can try to use that to cover their ass, but we all know that if the same pictures had been posted with the caption "It's great to see all my school friends again!" the school would not have said a word.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nation. Of. Idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted