1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muffet McGraw's comments on gender equity in sports, business

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In a very long, purposely progressive article on women's basketball coaches and intersectionality (I write that so that people appreciate the context of the comments in the article, why it'd even come up, not a criticism of the article) Notre Dame women's basketball coach Muffet McGraw said she would not ever hire a man again for her coaching staff.

Muffet McGraw is done hiring men

That drew some attention.

Thursday, McGraw doubled down on that idea.

Interesting stuff. It's obviously accurate that men's sports has very, very few female coaches in it from high school to the pros.

FWIW, I found the Think Progress story pretty illuminating. As it progresses, you learn a lot about McGraw's worldview toward UConn. (Which seemed to boil over in December when one of McGraw's players told Auriemma to shut up.)

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And Jordan Peele won’t hire white men in leading roles, either. It strikes me as a vengeful attitude. Like, I’m on top now and fuck everyone else. Understandable, but a good example to aspirants with your same demographic background?

Btw, Muffet McGraw always sounded to me like a cartoon lesbian name.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I agree with her stance, but will add she is named after a robotic dagger.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Andrew "Dice" Clay just started giggling and has no idea why.

Batman likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The real gorilla/elephant in the room is bullying/intimidation of heterosexual players, often tolerated if not participated by particular coaches or administrators.

Sudden wholesale roster changes in women's sports often are the result of this phenomenon -- or, the discovery by players things may very much not be as they seem.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We're deep into the two-wrongs-DO-make-a-right realm these days, here specifically but throughout society. Most of us learned in the school yard that such thinking was immature and bullshit. But now there are many people who will not rest (if then, even) until they have done to somebody else what they think was done to them -- or to someone else for whom they feel aggrieved.

If something was wrong to do yesterday, it -- and any variation of it -- is wrong to do today.

It solves nothing. It fixes nothing. It perpetuates unfairness and resentment, simply turning it around and directing it at mostly innocent people. As childish an impulse as exists. Grow the fuck up.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Boy, I can't like that enough, Joe. Every fucking word.

She is battling discrimination with discrimination.

Joe Williams and HanSenSE like this.
  8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I also wonder how long it will take for someone to file a discrimination suit against her, Notre Dame, etc., with her quotes as Exhibit No. 1 ...

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Heterosexual players? Rene Portland did the opposite at Penn State and ran off anyone who had a whiff of teh gay.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wait - so there's a potential job out there where being a white man doesn't automatically put me at the top of the list?

This makes me so angry!!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It can go the other way too. And the preference of the head coach doesn't always necessarily dictate.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I mean, it gives women good stepping stones to better jobs. I dunno if that fixes anything, but maybe.

On the other hand, if it "perpetuates unfairness and resentment," that would tell me the entire hierarchy of big money college sports itself should be drawing similar charges of unfairness and worlds more resentment.

Draft saved Draft deleted