1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MU retires, unretires, reretires George Thompson's number

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"We retire jerseys but not numbers," Mike Broeker, the associate athletic director of marketing and communications, said Tuesday. "The key word is jersey."

"It's unfortunate that no one down there, whoever made the decision, had the balls to call me and at least tell me they were doing it," Thompson said. "As I understood it, when a number is retired, they go through all of the motions and they put it up on a banner with the rest of them and no one else can wear it, which I guess is the point of the whole thing. If they retire jerseys and not numbers, then all of those squares up there would be blank, wouldn't they?

"That dog don't hunt."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=531855

2. Do not fuck with Brute Force.
    Ever.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Shocking ::)

Especially from the school that brought you the Marquette Gold.

[​IMG]

4. OK,now that's unkind.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Poor guy's stuck in the phantom zone...

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love Marquette, grew up a Marquette fan, listened to George Thompson do radio (he played well before my time).

But why the fuck can't they do the simplest things right? Nicknames, number retirements -- the Jesuits are providing a good education to everyone but their athletic department.

Lord ... it's enough to become a DePaul fan. OK, no it isn't, but you get the drift.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I could never picture a Wisconsinite liking DePaul.

8. "We retire jerseys but not numbers." This guy has a future as a White House spokesman.
    I didn't meet George until he was doing radio but that sort of doublespeak is particularly insulting when contrasted with the blunt honesty I always got from him.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I like George, but how petulant can you be?
    They put your name and number up in the rafters for as long as Marquette is going to play basketball, and they let you call games on the radio for 27 years. What more does the school need to do? Send someone over to clean your gutters?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I could never picture anyone liking DePaul.

Draft saved Draft deleted