1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mt, Vernon, Ill. - Sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, May 7, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From jjobs.com. Welfare city for anyone that takes this.

Company: Register-News
    Position:
    Seeking sports, news reporters
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $15,000 to $20,000
    Ad Expires:
    June 11, 2008
    Job ID: 920613

Description:
    The Register-News in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, seeks qualified candidates for the positions of sports reporter and news reporter. We are a community newspaper in the truest sense of the phrase and are looking for a sports reporter who will provide coverage of all our schools in Jefferson County. We want someone who can provide coverage of sports well beyond the final scores, someone who will help us cover non-traditional sports as well as recreational sports.

For our news staff, we seek someone who is not afraid to work nights and weekends covering local meetings and events as well as provide feature material.

The Register-News has a lengthy history of helping entry-level reporters move on to larger markets. The newspaper has been aggressive with its online delivery of information and offers reporters the chance to gain valuable experience in this media as well.

Mt. Vernon is located in the heart of hoops-crazy Southern Illinois, 70 miles east of St. Louis and roughly the same distance west of Evansville, Ind. Carbondale is a short drive down I-57, and Champaign is roughly two hours to the north.

Send a resume and five clips to: Jeremy Hall, Register-News, 911 Broadway, Mt. Vernon, IL, 62864. Or e-mail jeremy.hall@register-news.com

2. 7.50 an hour? Sign me up.

3. Paul Wilcoxen

Paul Wilcoxen New Member

I can tell you for a fact that the SE has nothing to do with the pay or the posting of the ad, or listing the pay. Better to be up front though, I guess.

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I've heard this is not a good place. As in people drunk in the workplace not good.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't follow your logic. You make it sound like an amazing place to work.

Anyway, although I agree it's a despicable wage, I think it's nice it's actually posted.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

You raise a good point. That was poorly worded. All I know is someone was trying to finish stuff on deadline while somebody else was hammered and not terribly productive (as opposed to the workplace being a kegger for everyone). So that does not add up to a good situation. However, I don't know if these person still exists at that paper, so the whole point could be moot.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I had an idea what you meant, but for some reason your first sentence made me laugh.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

you can make more flippin' burgers

9. SECT

SECT Guest

This place is also losing its sports editor at the end of the month.

10. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

Wow, that's the worst pay range I've ever seen on a job ad.

11. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

$15,000, does that qualify for food stamps?
    Send clips, of what, coupons from a baggie?
    That's hysterical. I can't imagine a college educated individual would be interested in something like this. I remember a W. Va. paper posting an ad like this two years ago, and it was rightly savaged, too.
    Shame on those folks. High School kids make more per hour than this.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's disgusting and the paper is a disgrace just for paying that little. Shame on the publisher, Bob Dennis, and Jeremy Hall for posting this.

Draft saved Draft deleted