1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSNBC Suspends Ed Schultz Over "Slut" Remark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For the same reason that polls and personality issues dominate the media's political coverage. Laziness, cheapness and lowest common denominator reporting.
    Feed them enough to keep them hungry and working and the masses will come back for more of the same because they don't know any better.
    It's easier to cover a poll and a candidates personality than it is to hash out trade policy differences, the rate of depreciation right-offs and the efficacy of corn, sugar and oil subsidies versus social welfare subsidies.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You truly have to be a dope to care about these dopey faux-WWE tv characters.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Yes, because Christiane Amanpour is JUST like Glenn Beck ...
    Yeah.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a bombthrower v. bombthrower crime. The more serious issue - I think - is that he used a gender specific term which most would agree is inappropriate.
    I did find it interesting that msnbc suspended him for something he said on his radio show - though I guess they could weigh in since his radio studio is located at MSNBC.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

More hilarious false-equivalency . . . wildly-popular on the right side of the boat.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know what his contract says, but in a general sense, I find that to be fair. Let's say that you were writing a freelance article and wrote something outlandish. I think your primary newspaper employer would be well within its rights to suspend you. Or make it a personal blog. Lots of columnists and so forth have been suspended for comments on personal blogs, Twitter accounts, Facebook, etc., etc.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He got off way too easily.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh. MSNBC is certainly within their rights to suspend him.

However it is amusing the lengths the purportedly radical-flaming-liberal-commie-pinko network continually goes to, to placate/protect/mollify the screeching right wing (multiple slaps on Schultz, coming down on Olbermann, packing the afternoon shows with Wall Street crank yankers, and building their whole morning show around a bush-league O'Reilly wannabe).

It would be like if the fascist propaganda network suddenly gave a morning show to Michael Moore and rolled in staff members of ACORN as afternoon talking heads.

But, we do have to remember who owns MSNBC. Follow the money.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

http://www.glennbeck.com/2011/05/11/meghan-mccain-gets-naked-glenn-vomits/

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

With O_T not hanging around, I knew someone would step up in the breach.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder what he would have called a male counterpart if he had made the same argument.

If he wants to call her an idiot, I'm fine with that. If he wants to call her an asshole, I'm fine with that...

There are some places you just don't go. Obviously, he's not the first to do so, but it's inexcusable.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think that's it. I think MSNBC wants to separate itself from Fox and protect the NBC "brand", as well as satisfy liberals who believe they are "better" than righties. By suspending hosts for over-the-line behavior and comments, they do all three.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.