1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSNBC fails U.S. geography

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double J, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really MSNBC has failed the country

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Must not be any prisons or pedophiles there. They know where all of those places are.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or Liberals

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No wonder Ryan Fitzpatrick had so many problems throwing through those mountain winds.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Really? It's not like any media outlet makes mistakes on a daily basis. It's not like Buffalo was mapped in Siberia or whatnot.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Mistakes do happen, but why use a map as a graphic if you can't be bothered to ensure it's correct? And then to miss on all four cities? Sloppy and stupid.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. I am amazed at some of the stuff that gets on air at networks and major market stations. This isn't at the level of the San Francisco station with the phony pilots' names last month, but it's still sort of embarrassing.

(Sort of like the Olympic ticket rep who answered a phone call from New Mexico and told the caller he had to purchase tickets through the Mexican Olympic Committee.)

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've worked in the TV business for more than 20 years. This is absolutely universal from shop to shop: Graphic artists cannot spell, and they can't place stuff on a map to save their lives.

The MSNBC one is nothing. The states were in the right place. I can't find the screenshot now, but CNN had a map of the lake in Idaho where the kidnapped girl was found... and they put it in Oklahoma. Sorta the same shape as Idaho, but on its side...

The artist that works on my show once made a map with Arizona in the wrong spot. I work in Phoenix.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

SUM TING WONG STRIKES AGAIN!

HO LEE FUK.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I've lost count how many maps have left the Upper Peninsula completely off of Michigan. I believe Outside magazine did that once, and the U.P. is one of the places people go when they want to, oh, go outside.

Draft saved Draft deleted