1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSNBC Drops the Ball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Particularly in this economy, I think you know the answer to the business vs. public service debate, and it's the same answer for every TV outlet and probably 99% of the print outlets in the country.

And Piotr: there are a great number of newspapers out there that come out two or three times a week. Should they call in the staff to print a special edition any day there's debate in Washington, since there's a chance something significant might come out of it that day? Seems to me MSNBC not programming Saturday afternoons is a lot like, say, the East Valley Tribune not printing a Saturday edition. Whether we like it or not, they've concluded it doesn't make business sense to do it. I don't see why yesterday was such a landmark day that they were obligated to break from their schedule.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think a station with muscle like MSNBC has behind it should aspire to be more than this, but your points are well taken.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

All you need to know about MSNBC (and Fox News) is that they had repeat broadcasts on in the wee hours of the night when reports of serious levee failures began to emerge in New Orleans during Katrina. CNN was live and was the only cable network delivering the news that, actually, the city hadn't dodged a bullet.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Hey, look at the bright side.... We didn't have to listen to Pat Buchanan all weekend.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Oh, Good Lord. Should I have used the blue font? Just because I find prison documentaries to be more entertaining on a Saturday night than healthcare coverage when I'm stuck at home and the kids have gone to bed, does that necessarily mean I'm not "informed?" What a bizarre response.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would think Fox News is the number one news outlet for the Fox Network.

With MSNBC, NBC News is the main news source. It seems like there is a different organizational structure.

That said, why wouldn't NBC News use MSNBC to run some information.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I be curious to see if MSNBC sticks with its live coverage in 15 minutes or if it goes to its regularly scheduled programming.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

MSNBC does a better job than CNN in day to day programming - when there is actually news to report - they do terribly.
    Went to a town hall for a federal legislator - there were a few "teabaggers" there I guess - but more importantly they were real people with legitimate, valid concerns and questions about health care, spending and other matters. It was the the right and left food fights that you see on Fox and MSNBC night after night. People really don't care.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So what do people think, is MSNBC going to be a news channel this weekend or will they stick to their regular programming?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, those predators ain't gonna catch themselves.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

They'll be on Sunday. I'd bet money on that.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I'm hoping they'll be in news mode on Sunday. Someone has to balance out the insanity that's likely to be flowing forth from Fox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.