1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ms. Dowd Has Some 'Splainin' To Do.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 17, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

wfw

I have to say, it's kind of surreal when you get plagiarized by someone who writes for the NYT. Mostly, you're incredibly offended to have been ripped off. Bizarrely, you also think, "wow, someone who writes for the NYT thinks my stuff is good."

Luckily, the cash settlement and the published acknowledgement of the co-opting helped me to cope with the "incredibly offended" part - a great definition of win-win. :)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, as much as YOU might be personally pissed off when someone rips off your writing, lifting quotes is actually the lazy times two, not just lifting a passage of someone else's writing. To quote someone, you have to have interviewed the person--done the legwork. When you get into "quote lifting" territory, you are not only stealing from someone else's story, you are then passing it off as you having spoken to someone you didn't. Maybe others don't see the "two aggrieved people" in that (the journalist and the source)," but that was sort of the distinction in my head when I typed that. In Dowd's case, there is one aggrieved person, the writer. And even there, there are still degrees of aggrieved that I can't really describe -- I just know them when I see them. What she ripped off was insignificant. It wasn't a mind-blowing thought or idea. It's less serious to me than if she had ripped off a passage from Tolstoy and tried to pass it off as her own. I am sure the writer she ripped off would disagree. But I just sort of naturally make these distinctions, which is why I asked others if they had a sliding scale in their minds.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The NYT should at least give her a week or two at home. Not doing something makes this a NYT problem and not a Dowd problem.

4. I'm not typically one for Internet snark, but I loved this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-kilkenny/what-maureen-dowd-is-tryi_b_204616.html

And no one can blame Dowd for being drawn to Marshall's idea. He's one smart guy, and winner of the prestigious Polk Award for excellence in journalism. Talking Points Memo has been hailed for "(leading) the news media in coverage of the politically motivated dismissals of United States attorneys across the country." While Dowd missed the attorneys-firing thing, she did come up with clever puns for Sarah Palin.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

When Mo Dowd lied, no one died.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Josh Marshall has been oddly quiet on the issue. He hasn't made a peep about it on his blog today, and MSNBC said a they contacted him and he declined comment.

7. Josh has got some class.
    And Mo needs to lose six months just for that bullshit alibi she thought up.

8. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Useless note about Dowd from her NYT bio:

"Ms. Dowd joined The New York Times as a metropolitan reporter in 1983. She began her career in 1974 as an editorial assistant for The Washington Star, where she later became a sports columnist, metropolitan reporter and feature writer. When the Star closed in 1981, she went to Time magazine."

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/maureendowd/index.html

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Being lazy is one thing, and being a thief is another. Bad combination. Hope she gets fired.

10. She couldn't make the cut at the Plain-Dealer.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As predicted, Dowd won't be disciplined in any way. Doing so would make Sulzberger, Keller and Andy Rosenthal, her three fraudulent superiors, look bad. Something to remember for their next pompous editorial on the "need for accountability" in OTHER PEOPLE!

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't one of her first big stories for the Times about Biden cribbing parts of a speech during the 1988 campaign?

Draft saved Draft deleted