1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mrs. Palin, you want me to sit here and explain how the Family Guy works?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, they probably shouldn't have gone there. But really, for as cruel this is to some, it's fairly tame by Family Guy standards:

Sarah Palin is lashing out at the portrayal of a character with Down syndrome on the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy."

In a Facebook posting headlined "Fox Hollywood — What a Disappointment," the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee and current Fox News contributor said Sunday night's episode felt like "another kick in the gut." Palin's youngest son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

The episode features the character Chris falling for a girl with Down syndrome. On a date, he asks what her parents do.
    She replies: "My dad's an accountant, and my mom is the former governor of Alaska."

Palin resigned as Alaska governor last summer.

Palin's oldest daughter, Bristol, also was quoted on her mother's Facebook page, calling the show's writers "heartless jerks."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You have to hand it to Rupert Murdoch. Offend people with Fox and give them FoxNews as a place to vent their frustration.

It's as if Taco Bell was also the leading producer of toilet paper.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Beautiful & apt metaphor.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, that was tremendous.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Doesn't she get that it was SATIRE -- so that makes it OK?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Technically it's a simile and not a metaphor, but still bang-on.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

It already was.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

A simile is a type of metaphor. Back atcha !

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Palin should direct her phony outrage at the guy who signs her checks these days. Let's not hold our breath waiting for that one, though.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Know what offends me? How Palin parades her son in public as if he's a political handbag. That offends me; not some cartoon comedy show.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thought the down syndrome aspect of the girl character was completely unnecessary. Chris' travails would have been the same no matter what the girl's condition. Though Stewie's song certainly had its moments.

Then they tried to pay it off with the Palin reference, and it just shone the spotlight even more on how the entire idea just fell flat.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes! Just imagining that hypothetical situation is getting me all riled up!

Draft saved Draft deleted