1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. or Miss [First Name]

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I hate it when people shorten my first name, but I find a lot of older men will call me "Jim" even if everyone else calls me "James." I'm usually too polite to tell them I hate that name.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I know someone who refuses to call people by their shorter name, even if it's crystal clear that the person goes by that shorter name. Jim is always James. Josh is always Joshua.

Very tilting.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

If it bothers you, speak up. I don't answer to anything except my name. A seventh-grade teacher liked to use a nickname (which, for the record, is actually longer than my real name) and I frequently would turn and look out the window because he obviously wasn't speaking to me.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My first name is Deborah, I introduce myself as Deborah and sign every email as Deborah. I can't tell you how many people immediately call me Deb or <shudder> Debbie. I find that really rude, especially in business correspondence.

Deb is for my friends and family. Debbie is for those who wish to die a painful death. ;)

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't care what you call me. Just don't call me late for dinner.

BDC99 likes this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It's generally older men who do it, and I don't deal with most of them enough to worry about it. If I have to deal with them often, I'll usually say something the second or third time.

Draft saved Draft deleted