1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Oden is not ready for the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So you are saying that the NBA talent evaluators never make mistakes?

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's very far from what I'm saying. There are busts every year. But I haven't heard one NBA guy say this guy would be at best as no better than Amachei.

3. boots

boots New Member

Right now, from what I can see, I see him at best, another John Barry Carroll or an Amechi.

4. Boom_70

Agree - he is not even close to Patrick Ewing -even from Patrick's freshman year.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

What games are you watching? I'm totally at a loss to your thinking. The guy is playing with a right wrist (his shooting hand mind you) that's still not 100 percent. What do you want from him? 25ppg, 15 rebounds and five blocks?

6. Boom_70

I just don't understand why so many feel need to make ecuses for Oden. He is a good player that will have a long NBA career. Joe Barry Carrol had a nice NBA career as has Eric Dampier.

7. boots

boots New Member

JBC was a stiff who didn'tplay up to his potential. Dampier is a never will be making a lot of money. Oden, I predict, will make a lot of money but not necessarily go down as one of the best centers ever.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Based on what? What is it that makes you think that? Specific flaws in his game that don't look like they can be corrected?

9. boots

boots New Member

Melock, to me, it appears as though he's just an average player. He was more impressive in the prep ranks. He's a good role player on an excellent team and that's to his credit. I may be wrong but if he were say three inches shorter, I don't think there would be much to talk about.

10. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

A few thoughts:

Many of the seven-footers (and even 6-10ers) who have even played college basketball recently have been more effective in the NBA than they are in college. The criminally short college three-point line and lack of good perimeter shooting on most college teams means that young big guys see double and triple teams often in college. When they get to the NBA, unless they are Shaq or Duncan, they often get the opportunity to score against single coverage, often someone of their own size and agility.

Oden, as he is right now, would make a substantial impact in the NBA -- defensively. Boots and Boom -- the big differences between Oden and guys like JB Carroll are that 1) he has better lateral movement, and 2) he tries hard to play defense. If you read his quotes, he has made no bones about the fact that he needs improvements on offense. He's much more likely to achieve those improvements in the NBA -- where there are no limits on the hours he can spend working with coaches, unlike the NCAA, where practice time is limited by rule.

As far as the foul trouble he has experienced, it has already been pointed out that many of the touch and especially the "anticipation" calls that he incurs from college referees go away when games are being officiated in the NBA.

As far as saying you think he doesn't look any better than John Amaechi, let's just say you shouldn't quit your day job to pursue a new career as an NBA scout. And I'm being kind, here.

Oden may well fall short of Shaq-like or Kareem-like dominance. Most do. But he will an NBA All-Star center as sure as I am typing this right now. Remember, Zydrunas Ilgauskas has played in two All-Star Games. So did Kevin Duckworth, for that matter. There's a hell of a lot of territory between Shaq and Olowokandi. His career will be closer to Shaq than the Kandi Man.

11. boots

boots New Member

Amechi had his moments in the pros. Oden would too. I just don't he's ready for the show at this present time to be the impact player many say that he is. He needs work and that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

12. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

As I pointed out, Oden is on the record as agreeing with you about needing to work on his game. That doesn't mean he can't impact NBA games, and more than just "have his moments."

Dwight Howard could hardly make a post move when he got to Orlando, but he averaged 12 points and 10 rebounds his first year (playing all 82 games). His second year, he went for 15.8 points and 12.5 rebounds. This year, he is up to 17.9 points and 12.1 rebounds and he made his first All-Star Game appearance.

A similar timeline awaits Oden. And he'll be 22 by his third NBA season.

Draft saved Draft deleted