1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Oden is not ready for the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't know if Oden gets a McGrady-esque shoe deal; it definitely won;t be as high as Durant's.
    Oden's footwork on the offensive end needs some improvement, but he's already a step ahead of most centers because he knows how to use both hands efffectively. Defensively, some of the fouls called on him won't be issues in the NBA; the officiating in this tourney has been sub-par and Oden has been a mark. Oden's had a few calls against him that were called anticipating contact as opposed to actual contact. Defensively, his footwork is unbelievable for a kid his age.
    Now I can only pray the Celtics get the No. 1 pick.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Rhody, I think you and I agree a little here. I think he's a very good defensive player, but offensively he needs work. Hence the 20-10 every fan will be expecting out of the gate won't happen. Should he stay another year to work on his offense? Maybe, but I doubt he will, and it will lead to people saying next year when he averages 9 and 10 to say "Oh, No.1 picks a bust!"

I think he'll get a good shoe deal, because whoever signs him will be able to package some of the blocks and thunderous dunks he's made this year very nicely to portray a new dominant big man coming to the game. And who doesn't want to be 7-foot tall and rejecting lesser players?

BTW, that game with Hibbert, as pointed out on another thread, is going to be fun. With the way the games have been called so far, both could have three before the end of the first half. I hope the refs let them go at each other a little.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think he comes out, averages 15-17 ppg, 10-12 rpg, 3 blocks per, wins rookie of the year and brings the celtics back to the playoffs.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How does Roy Hibbert compare to Oden?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Roy is a very nice player, but there's a reason he wears a t-shirt under his jersey and it's not in homage to Patrick Ewing. The way the thing hangs off him, it makes me wonder if he's got any real strength in his upper body.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He's averaging 15 a game right now, what makes you think he'll do that in the NBA?

7. boots

boots New Member

Roy might be Oden's biggest test of the year. Roy will surprise Big O.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I like Hibbert, and think G-Town will win, but Hibbert is going to have to play great anticipatory defense against Oden, because I'm not sure he's strong enough to keep him off the low block.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've said it before, Hibbert isn't as dominant as he can or probably should be. He's more raw than Oden. Roy has great potential, but he would get destroyed in the NBA, where as Oden would have his moments. Oden may be matched up against the best possible person to defend him all season, but I expect him to completely shut down Hibbert anytime the two are matched up while the Hoyas have the ball.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All I know is Greg Oden got damn near schooled by Wayne Chism.
    That tells me plenty. And much thanks again to Tennessee for choking down the stretch and ruining my Final Four.
    Oden isn't the best freshman in the country. I'm not even sure if he makes the top five, but he is the best freshman center.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Since when has a player going to the NBA been about being "ready"? Wonder the real rea$on?

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you smoking? Then again you're probably right and all the NBA talent evaluators that are absolutley head-over-heels in love with this kid are more than likely idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted