1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Musburger, tear down this wall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Jul 8, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Brent and the crew broadcast from the wall.

Or a wall. Maybe not even in Berlin.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Mr. Musberger, tear down this wall

He's been going crazy with the war references, and whatnot, these last few days.

Before the game Tuesday, there was this exchange (paraphrased from memory):

BRENT: Blah, blah, blah, and here is the Brandenburg Gate, which separated East and West Germany, in the center of the city ... and here is the beautiful Reichstag building, which, if you recall, was the site of one of the final battles between Nazi and Soviet forces in 1945, there was fighting that took place *inside* the Reichstag building, and Hitler committed suicide in his bunker not far from there, and the war ended not long after, and Julie, what do you think about the Germans' chance against the Italians in today's game?

JULIE: Uhh, uhh, uhh ... Germany's so good ... and uhh ... Italy's so good, too, and----

ERIC: Italy has played outSTANDing defense in this entire tournament ...

JULIE: Uhh, Italy has allowed just the one---

ERIC: Italy's only goal conceded was an own-goal against the United States, a mistake, really, and have I mentioned that I think Bruce Arena should be fired, he did a horrendous job in this tournament, and Germany -- they're so stoic, they're so, uhh, German -- is going to have to find a way to score against Buffon and this amazing Italian defense in order to win. They have to score to win.

JULIE: Uhh, uhh, they're both such great teams, and it should be a fabulous game.

BRENT: And that's why they call it the beautiful game, folks. Back to the studio.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's a helluva segue from Brent.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So, we're broadcasting from beautiful Wahnsee, once home of a meeting that started the Holocaust. And, how about that German attack? Podolski and Schneider sure make things exciting, don't they?

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I wonder if he tours Europe and practices his lines.

"You are looking LIVE at the beaches of Normandy ..."

6. KP

KP Active Member

Great stuff. Wait until Brent hits South Africa in 4 years.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think that would prompt me to put the wall back up. It's just me, though. ;)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Brent Musburger drinking game would be a hella lot of fun in Germany.

9. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

Did you guys notice that suit he was wearing? My wife said she thought it was a raincoat. I thought it looked liked he was wearing a bulletproof vest under it. Either way, it was the ugliest and worst-fitting suit I've seen on anyone since Whitlock on the Sports Reporters.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Musberger! Yeah!

He did it again:

Goes into this long spiel about Jesse Owens at the OlympiaStadion, blah blah blah, "you always see that picture of a solemn Hitler but, and I have just learned about this, that is not the reception that Owens and our athletes got from the German fans. The fans stood up and applauded him, and now we've got Italy and France in the World Cup final, right here in Berlin."

Segues, Brent, seques. ;D

11. KP

KP Active Member

I think I'm already drunk. :D

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's because he doesn't hold anything back!! [/danfouts]

Draft saved Draft deleted