1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mr. Commissioner"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, May 16, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Didn't he say he had a cold and wasn't feeling well?
    Maybe it was the Dayquil talking?

2. NDub

NDub Guest

Agreed. It seems like Duncan's non-suspension was because it was "interpreted" he didn't have malicious intent nor was the Elson-Bell incident an "altercation."

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Tommy Lasorda was in our area recently and one of the talking heads on TV kept calling him Mr. Lasorda. Made me ill. Another said Lasorda was his hero growing up. Tommy Fucking Lasorda was your hero? Yikes. Get out of the house more often.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I listened to some of that interview on ESPN News and it wasn't a bad interview.
    What made me turn the channel was the fact that they ran the Nash/Horry play on an endless loop while the interview went on...... like "A Clockwork Orange" for the NBA playoffs.
    Please, ESPN, can't you be more original than that??

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I had a much bigger issue with Patrick's whining about Peter King ranking Brett Favre like 10th among quarterbacks. Patrick was saying he should still be in the top five, which is lunacy.

And then King gave his list and had Tony Romo like No. 7 or 8 -- and Ben Roethlisberger not even ranked, which is even more lunacy

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I loved that Stern told Patrick, in essence, "Barkley, Kerr, and you can go to hell.  This is the rules.  We put it in because of the Knicks/Heat brawls in the past.  The hooliganism needs to be stopped and if there is a potential situation, someone will get zinged."

Stern did, in effect, exposed Patrick big time for being the condenscending shrill prick he is. Kissing ass and then trying to play hardball. Cuban and Stern are the only two guys I have seen or heard call Patrick's bullshit and threw it back in his face.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Say what you want about David Stern, but he doesn't take much shit.

I remember when he handed out the suspensions in the Pistons-Pacers fiasco and someone asked him if it were voted on and he said "yes,it was unanimous 1-0"

You gotta love that

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i contend the patricks and mike and the dogs of the world use the word "commissioner" to alert everyone that they, the self-involved, have the power to gain an audience with the commissioner.

they consider the "get" and subsequent sound bites well worth the sucking up. it's sickening.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Eh, I think it's a Mr. President type of deal. A sign of respect is all. I would find it odd if Patrick was calling him, "David." I listened to the interview live and I don't think Dan Patrick was crowing because he landed David Stern. Patrick can get pretty much anyone he wants and he knows it, though he still acts normal.

I thought Barkley put it well, noting Stern is the "best commissioner" in sports (or tallest midget) but that the NBA is just trying to cover its ass.

Stern was extremely defensive, using his lawyer tactics to change the focus on Patrick's slippages of logic.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

eff the respect. i've always railed against reporters who address a guy as "coach," too. he's not our coach, our commissioner, etc.

golly gee, they're sports geeks, each and every one of them. talk to them respectfully, but not as if they have some special powers. geez.....

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

In this case, it sounded like theatrical condescension, rather than respect.

It was staged point-counterpoint pseudo debate that Patrick engaged in as an attempt to be one of the fans. His show is more unlistentoable than Cowherds most days.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Which is why I discontinued listening to him several years ago. Using monologue to rip people, kiss up when they come on, and then rip them afterwards, hoping they are not listening. What does he think he's doing with the point/counterpoint tactic, playing Shana Alexander to James Kilpatrick?

Dan, you ignorant slut! :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted