1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Arkansas and I know nothing about the state or Arkansians(?) ... Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TMagelssen, Jul 4, 2011.

1. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

I graduated in May, and I accepted a job at the Pine Bluff Commercial after visiting the town.

As the thread title suggests, I know very little about my new home, including traditional high school powers, things to do in the Pine Bluff/Little Rock area and anything else you can imagine.

Obviously these are things I will ask people in the area, but I'd prefer to get some thoughts from those who might be less biased.

Advice? Thoughts?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Little Rock has a Double-A minor-league baseball team, the Travelers (Angels affiliate). They currently have the No. 1 prospect in baseball (or No. 2, depending on the list), outfielder Mike Trout.

That's all I got.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Arkansas is the nation's leading producer of rice.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How one poster here, who's always willing to talk about himself and lived in Arkansas all of 12 minutes, has not regaled you with all his sage advice yet is stunning.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Arkansas takes some abuse on this site but fact is, it is a very beautiful state.

You're moving to a rough town, but it's a hell of a good gig out of the chute. As I stated on a previous thread, George Ivory is a good guy and Mike Newell is a hoot to observe and cover.

Don't know if West Texas has Waffle Houses, partake but not too much. You will feel the arteries start to enclose as you eat.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think they have the U.S.' only diamond mine in Arkansas. They're known for their philandering president and their bum of a college football coach.

Little Rock Central High School is a key place in U.S. civil rights history.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They have a SWAC team that's cannon fodder for most of the rest of Division I.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

There are no gas stations between Blytheville and West Memphis on I-55 despite the fact that there are about 25 exits between these two towns. Also, there's a decent BBQ joint in Carlisle...That's all I've got.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

UAPB, which stands for "U Are Probably Black" ... or so I'm told. :)

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pine Bluff is a shithole. But as was already said the rest of the state is beautiful, especially Northwest Arkansas. Lived in Fayetteville in the early 90s and really liked it there.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The good thing about living in Pine Bluff is that everywhere else you go in the state will seem really nice.

NWA is a great area, and Fayetteville can be a lot of fun. But outside of work, it will be too much of a haul to spend any time there.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oaklawn is an underrated gem of a thoroughbred track.

The nation's best duck hunting is in the Arkansas Delta.

Draft saved Draft deleted