1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Tips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrianM, Mar 3, 2011.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

I currently work for a suburban weekly, but I am in the process of moving to a slightly Podunk town in another state to gain daily experience, learn to do layout and multi-task, and get more sports clips to start to work my way up the ladder a bit. Of course, being a relatively beginning journalist, I have very little money to do this with. I am really getting financially worried about moving expenses; I haven't asked, (I'm a little reluctant to look too much like a prima donna before I even start the new job.) but I don't think Podunk papers pay them these days, do they? So, I'm worried paying for an apartment, furnishing the place, (I'm not hiring movers and not taking anything that won't fit in my car.) Internet access in the apartment, and eating until I get my first paycheck.....
    Since I figure my fellow sports journalists here probably have a lot of experience with moving on the cheap these days, does anyone have any good tips or valuable advice for me?
    Thanks......

2. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

I can't speak for your new employer, but the company that I work for, which is a small podunk, paid for my expense to get out of my lease early. And that's it. With the cost of U-Haul, gas, and other expenses, it set me back about $800. I ate ramen noodles for the first two month. But in your case, I would come out and ask. And since you're already hired, the worst they could say is no.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If they don't pay, keep track of all of your expenses. They are tax deductable.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You can buy a lot of cheap used furniture for what it might cost to move your cheap used furniture.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Furnishing your apartment. Haha.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Donate a lot of things to Goodwill - also tax-deductible.

When you're cleaning out your current apartment/house/abode, if you have any hesitation about something, throw it away.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In the future, don't be afraid to ask about relocation expenses/help during the interview or just after they offer you the job.

Ideally, that is the best time to ask, because you haven't accepted yet.

But don't be afraid to ask for it now either.

As for once you get there, budget your money wisely. Maybe you scrimp on entertainment costs for the first couple months. But that can be pretty easy, since it is a new town and probably don't know anyone yet.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

What MileHigh said. Keep every last receipt. If you rent a trailer, keep the receipt. If you spend a night at a hotel on the way there, keep the receipt. When you stop to eat, keep the receipt. And write down your odometer reading at the beginning and the end of the trip -- that's about 50 cents per mile that's tax-deductible.

I'm a full-time freelancer with a good attorney and a good accountant. The best advice either has ever given me -- and they've given me plenty, but this is at the top -- is to keep your friggin' receipts.

(It should also be said that you should probably keep them filed somewhere, like a multi-pocket folder ... which, when you purchase it, keep your receipt.)

9. BrianM

BrianM Member

I said "furnishing", YGB. A bed, a chair, a shelf or two. Not interior decorating or anything. I know I can't afford that.
    Anyway, thanks for the tips everybody, and please, keep 'em coming...

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The best advice I could give you is to not listen to anything I say on a thread about home furnishings. Not everyone can live with nothing but a couch and small TV. In fact, nobody should.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'd recommend a couch instead of a chair (I'm assuming you're thinking recliner).

And probably only slightly more expensive than a recliner. Especially if a furniture store has a clearance section (I know one around here that does). Good furniture at greatly reduced prices.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Meet a woman, and she'll decorate. For the first five years at my first tiny daily, I worked my ass to the bone, lived in a cool apartment but had nothing in it. A table, chairs, a couch and a bed. Only when I met Mrs. Gator did I actually start to get that "homey" feeling rather than a place to sleep.

Then again, you sound young ... take your time with meeting the woman part.

Draft saved Draft deleted