1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving from the desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

In the current job climate, can a person legitimately get a reporting job, or some other kind of job not called "copy editor"? Particularly if you've been in the business a little over 2 years and has spent the last year desking?

Most places ask for writing clips along with their resume. Is there an expiration date on when you can submit clips you've written?

2. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

It'll be hard. You'll probably need to get fresh clips via freelancing. (Or maybe your paper will let you pick up a reporting shift?)

Generally, clips older than one year have passed their expiration date.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I don't know about that. I've got some great clips from 2-3 years ago that I used to get my current job. A good clip is a good clip, period.

You might have to freelance, jake, but you probably should try to get some more writing clips. It can only help, especially if you've only been in the biz for two years (and spent most of that desking.) Use college writing clips, too, if you have to.

4. azmgb

azmgb New Member

I'm in a similar situation, basically trying to move from the desk into more of a writing job. How do you guys usually show your clips on a resume (embedded in the document)? And do you usually use the jpegs from the plan (is it considered unprofessional to have a scanned copy of the actual print article)?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jpegs from the plan? Not sure what you mean there.

It's got to be legible, that's for sure. If a scanned copy is hard to read, find another way. Paste it into a Word document if you have to.

I've got PDFs of all my clips and they print out beautifully. If you're e-mailing your resume/clips to an employer, combine it all into one PDF file and you won't have to worry about attachments. You can also print it out easily and send it through snail mail, too.

6. azmgb

azmgb New Member

What I mean by jpegs was exporting the image from the InDesign plan and saving it as a jpeg, rather than a pdf, so I could just embed it in a Word file or something like that, rather than setting it all up as a PDF

7. azmgb

azmgb New Member

The scanned copies are perfectly legible, I have a very high-quality scanner. Basically, I just wondered if it was considered more professional to have the version straight out of InDesign or whatever layout program, or if most places prefer the clips as they appeared in the paper.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Too much work.

Just print to PDF (if you're on a Mac) or use a program like CutePDF (free download at cutepdf.com) and make it one file.

The advantage of PDFs is that you control the presentation -- sometimes, Word files show up differently on someone else's computer, or they aren't formatted correctly. So, make your clips into PDFs if you can help it.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Moving from the desk to a reporter position is about as tough as moving from stringer to full-time. In the long run, it's probably easier to just find another job elsewhere.

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Well, I don't have a choice, anymore. I got canned today! I was just wondering if it was at all possible for a copy editor to get a job writing somewhere. I suppose I best start freelancing, assuming I don't starve first. heh.

It's lame getting fired for not being perfect.
    But, in a way it's for the best.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

sorry to hear that Jake. Good luck with the freelancing opportunities.

12. azmgb

azmgb New Member

Thanks for the tips, I hadn't thought about the possibility of a Word doc showing up without the formatting.

Draft saved Draft deleted