1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving for that new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Sep 23, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Atlanta is traffic and humidity. Not always in that order.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I like the La Quinta Inn in Macon. It never done me wrong.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I loved my one trip to Athens. Loved it. Any town where you can eat with hundreds of people at 2 a.m. is all right with me.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I've moved plenty, the most recent time was just a couple months ago for my current job.

It's not easy on several levels: Financial, emotional, social. But, most of the time, it does get easier with time. You learn your way around the new time, where you like to go eat or hang out, where to shop, all the little stuff. You meet people through the job primarily at first. Being single makes it easier... I couldn't imagine leaving a significant other behind.

Also, it helps if the place you are moving TO is better than the place you just left (as it was for me).

Like AMac said, if you play a sport or have some sort of hobby, you can meet people through that as well.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Worked out beautifully.

Despite all the bitching I do about Alabama (the state and the University), I really had a blast there. Made some great friends who I hope to stay in touch with for a very long time. A few too many shots on occasion, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Total brainfart on my part. Athens is a sweet town, though I'm not sure it's a great place to live if you're above the age of 25. Could trap you pretty easily and you'll wind up the 40 year old at the college bar.

Atlanta only gets a pass because it has all four major sports teams and usable public transportation.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, there's 8 million bars in Athens. If you find yourself as the 40-year-old at the college bar, just go a block down Broad Street and walk into a different one. :D

And define "usable" public transit -- because whatever it is, it ain't in Atlanta.

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I've never lived there. I live elsewhere in the state and have gone there for games and been able to park easily and take the train (marta, I think) to a ballgame. Was pretty easy, though, I have very little experience.

And I think a trip to Athens is necessary for me as my time in GA is dwindling. I wish someone would have told me about that place when I was looking for colleges.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

MARTA is great when you're from outside the Perimeter and need to go to the airport or the Dome.

If you're using it as a viable source of everyday transportation, it's terrible.

There's no Turner Field stop. There's no good Georgia Tech stop. Midtown's too spread out, so unless you're going to be in a very limited vicinity from the train station (for instance, walking up and down Int'l Blvd.), it's useless.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

@buckweaver - Check your PM. Thanks.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm digging this up because I've got some updated news.

I had my second phone interview last Friday. I was told I was one of three finalists for that second interview. Apparently, they like me. They want to meet in-person sometime soon. I'm waiting on a call back today to confirm a day/time and then I'll book my flight. Hopefully all goes well.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have to pay for the flight? Forget about moving expenses if you pay your own way to an interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted