1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving companies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WildBillyCrazyCat, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Mrs. CrazyCat and I are making a long move across the country in the weeks ahead. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on which moving companies are the best and which ones we should stay away from.

The last time I moved, it was a whatever-fits-in-the-backseat sort of thing, so this is all new to me.

Is it also worth it to ship one of our cars? We were thinking of having a friend drive one of them, but it seems the expenses add up to be almost the same as having the mover do it. Either way, it seems like getting one one of the cars out there will be really expensive or a mess.

Thanks in advance.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who's paying for it?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do not give Starving Students the time of day.

I used 'em 10 years ago for a very minor move (just a few heavy things), and in one day they . . .

--- Barged into the house and stepped on some breakable items.

--- Tried to reassemble my water bed and did it . . . backwards. I don't know any other way of describing what they were trying to do, but they obviously had no idea how to do it.

--- Had the nerve to ask me for a tip when I said "Just GO!" after the waterbed debacle.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Our last move we used Starving Students. They brought a truck that was too small for all our stuff, which meant that the following day I had to rent a truck and get the last of the stuff. They spent a lot more time on smoke breaks than moving my stuff. They also weren't very subtle about asking for a tip. I think I gave them 10 bucks. I concur with the thumbs down here.

Previous move, it was Mayflower. They lost a bunch of stuff, then wouldn't make good on it, saying "you signed for it all." Of course, at about midnight, my wife did sign for some countless number of boxes that had been dumped in our house while I was at work. I guess it was her fault that she didn't check off each of the boxes they brought into the house. They also broke a washer and our VCR. They were very snippy when I called about the lost and broken items and basically told me I had to prove they'd been working at the start of the move.

AVOID MAYFLOWER!!!

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Rent and drive the truck yourself. Hire some professionals to load. Hire any old Joe you can find to unload.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Oh yeah, and shake the dust out of your coonskin hat before hitting the road. No point in having that particular discussion with the highway patrol.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I truly believe it's easier to throw most of your stuff away and start over when you get there.

I used to believe you get what you pay for (and still would never use the cheap guys).....but even with the expensive 'professional' movers, you're still at the mercy of the guys in the truck.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll amend 21's suggestion and say donate as much of your stuff as possible to places like Goodwill or The Salvation Army. Take the essentials and give the rest away. If you can itemize your deductions, it will help you greatly come tax time.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

21's right. This is one transaction where you should never base you decision on price. Hire a professional mover. Last time I moved, it was a full moving van and the guys didn't break a single thing or scratch a single piece of furniture.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Now I feel like a schmuck. Of course you donate it...I should have said that.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If you can't haul everything cross-country, donate it to Goodwill, as has been stated prior (tax write-off, so be sure to make the donations before the 31st). Also, sell stuff. I made enough cash to go toward part of a deposit on an apartment when I relocated by selling my furniture - you'll have an advantage if you're leaving a college town because students rarely turn down cheap furniture.

Rule of thumb when cleaning out for a move. If you have any hesitation about keeping something, get rid of it.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Is there a reason you can't drive one car and the Mrs. drive the other? Seems like the simplest solution.

Draft saved Draft deleted