1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Around

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

So, I'm seven years into the business and have been at three papers. Just wondering how much moving around the rest of you have done in order to move up the ladder of success.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seems about right. I'm 10 years in. Fourth paper, with a magazine thrown in there.

All have been great steps up, leaving with no ill will. Now I'm at a level and a place I'd like to stay for a long while.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

five years out, third paper. left the first one because couldn't stand new editor that had been hired, and left second for a real good move up. like where i'm at, not sure when i'll move again. a woman will probably be the cause.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm at my fourth paper in eight years. Shortest stay has been a year, longest 2.5 years. Overall I've improved my position with each stop, though some experiences have been better than others.

I plan on being where I am now for another year or so and then hopefully move on to something closer to permanent (whatver that means in this business).

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

that's another thing, though. i noticed a shitload of sports guys are either divorced or just plain single. our hours suck, so relationships are a bitch.
    Just seems weird loving my job more than the old lady, but I have this feeling in my gut it's time to move on to a better opportunity.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i love doing this, and probably always will, but for me, when i settle down, i'll probably teach and freelance on the side. when i have a family, and this is a personal decision for me, i just want to be there more.

7. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

3 years out of college, I'm at my second paper...

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

15 years, only two papers...in the same city.
    now, i did start at the bottom at each paper, but i know i'm an anomaly.
    11 years into a marriage and have seen countless relationships fizzle b/c of the hours we work. now, i'm no dr. phil...
    but, find someone that is independent and can think on their own. you're going to either work a lot of nights -- including weekends -- or travel a lot. so, better find someone with some social skills that can exist without you. b/c you can't be on deadline having someone call you 13 times asking where fuzzy's cat food is.
    bills will be going out shortly.

9. The Duke

The Duke Member

I averaged a paper a year for about 6-7 years ... then got married and got a house and was at the last for six years.
    so the solution? buy a house, it's harder to move.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Four papers in 4.5 years. Shortest stay four months, longest two years. First move was lateral and a change of scenery, second was the only one that I had no reservations about (which naturally meant it was the worst fit and the aformentioned shortest stay), third was a demotion that didn't cost me in money but probably shortcircuited me for good as far as being a relevant reporter goes. Always make sure that next move really is as good as you think it is, because if it isn't, you run the risk of passing the hall mirror every day and having "I fail at life" flash across your forethoughts.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

not to be crazy about it, but a but of mine said something similar. guess i just keep holdin out.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

23 years in the business.

Still at my second paper, which I have been at for 20 1/2 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted