1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanielSimpsonDay, May 12, 2011.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The family and I are doing a short-distance move (100-120) miles and are wondering if we should use PODS. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm not looking forward to loading and unloading couches, dressers and the like, but it seems like a more cost-effective option, especially since we might have a transition month in between being out of the old house and into the new one.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So what are you going to do in the month in between?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This guy might have some advice for him, then.

[​IMG]

If you're worried about doing the loading yourself, you can hire folks from somewhere like eMove.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

If you're going to have a month in between, it seems like PODS were custom made for your situation.

I loathe moving. I couldn't imagine having to pack my junk up on a truck to unload it into storage only to load it back on a truck and unload it at a new house one month later.

I don't know how expensive PODS are, but in my mind it'd have to be pretty expensive not to go that route.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I used U-Pack for my latest move. Instead of several smaller pods, it was a big trailer. They also have a PODS-like option. If you use it, count on boxes getting crushed and use plenty of furniture pads.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We used 1-800-Packrat, a stupid name but a pretty painless move. One thing they have over PODS, I believe, is steel containers, which is better if you're looking at storage for any length of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted