1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sjfan1, Feb 16, 2007.

1. sjfan1

sjfan1 New Member

I may be getting a new newspaper job soon in a town about three hours away. My wife is a high school teacher, which means she's locked into our current area until at least the end of May. The place I'm going would want me to start in early March.

Anybody ever deal with something similar? What kind of living and moving arrangements did you work out?

Note that my wife's family lives in town, so she could live with them until the end of May if we sold our house immediately.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It happened once to us. I took a job about 90 miles away, but my wife hadn't found one yet. We got an apartment in the new place, and luckily my wife was able to house sit for our government reporter who was in the state capital for a few months. Win-win.

I'd see if someone at the new paper could use a roommate on a temporary basis until the summer. You'll probably be back at the old place on weekends anyway.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

When I was younger, my parents did this. My dad got an apartment and moved all of our stuff up there. My mom was a teacher, so we too were locked down. We lived with her parents who lived in the same town and every weekend we went to visit my dad. We'd drive back late Sunday night or early Monday morning. It was about 2 and a half hours for us, too. It's doable.

Draft saved Draft deleted