1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies that hold up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Saw Alien again last night.

It's like Goodfellas to me. Impossible to turn off if I stumble upon it.

The movie looks like it could have been filmed last week. The six minutes without a word uttered at the start (after the tracking shots through the seemingly empty Nostromo) lends a palpable feeling of foreboding. I still find the Facehugger and the Chestbusting scenes shocking and way too realistic.

And, the cast, he got career-highlight work out of all of them.

I have similar feelings for Full Metal Jacket.

Which movies, at least 20 years since they were put into the can, haven't lost an ounce off the fastball.

To thin out the nominees, let's say the film couldn't have been nominated for Best Picture.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Blade Runner.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Blazing Saddles

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

airplane

5. Dedo

Dedo Member

Miller's Crossing.

It's not quite 20 years old, but it came out the same year as Goodfellas, so it counts. That movie epitomizes what a timeless, underrated classic is all about. You could show it to two people who've never seen it before, tell one of them it was made in 1966 and tell the other it was made in 2006, and they'd both believe you.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Die Hard

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Raging Bull.
    I was shopping at Costco yesterday when I decided to wander down the movie isle, only to find Raging Bull for $8.99. Bought it, went home and watched it immediately. It's still an intense movie about self-destruction that holds up well, especially with its black and white setting.
    Gone With The Wind.
    Last night I was flipping the channels, and Gone With the Wind is one, back to back. Watched all that I could before I had to go to bed. Still holds up as excellent drama, especially during the seige of Atlanta.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Godfather 1 & 2.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spinal Tap, The Sting, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dammit! Now I'm sad I missed it! :(

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. ;D

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Goonies.
    The original Star Wars Trilogy. It's amazing how those special effects don't look all that dated (outside of maybe the speeder bike scene in ROTJ, it all looks really good).

Agree with those who mentioned Alien and Die Hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted