1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies featuring pro sports teams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Dec 2, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There was a movie on this morning from 1934 starring Robert Young (Marcus Welby MD) that involved a murder or something on the St. Louis (baseball) Cardinals. Can't remember the name and too lazy to look it up.

And who could forget Ronald Rayguns as Grover Cleveland Alexander, with the Phillies and Cardinals?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What team did the dog play for in 'Air Bud: Golden Receiver'?

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

No spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet, but The Town has quite a few scenes filmed at Fenway.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Charles Barkley and Bill Laimbeer in a two-second cameo in a bar brawl in Hot Shots!

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The premise is that the BoSox are playing the Yankees, but a TV set tuned to the game in question shows that Boston is actually playing Toronto.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Leafs were also featured in Breakfast With Scot, starring Tom Cavanagh (Ed) as a gay former Leaf who takes in his brother's kid or something like that. And they were at the centre of Face-Off, which starred Art Hindle as a hotshot Leafs rookie defenceman and which gave cameos to several real Leafs and other NHLers.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

The Penguins were in a scene in that movie from earlier this year that was shot in Pittsburgh with the guy from "Undeclared." Too lazy to IMDB the name of it. They were at a Pens game, at least. Seth Rogen was shown working outside the Civic Arena at the end of "Zach and Miri." That one probably doesn't count.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

White Sox game is an early scene in My Best Friend's Wedding. And it doesn't qualify for the rules of the thread, but the Titans get a passing reference in Castaway.

9. Suicide Squeezer

"She's Out of My League"

Favreau and Vaughn are at a Cubs game at the beginning of "The Break-Up." Also, from "Celtic Pride," the other team was the Jazz.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ferris and Cameron are at a Cubs game in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I don't remember if it ever showed who the Cubs were playing.

11. Suicide Squeezer

The Cubbies should get a nod for BTTF II, just for the sheer number of times I've quoted that line (along with others) in my life.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Bears.

Draft saved Draft deleted