1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie star with the fewest strikeouts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 26, 2008.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I adore that film. Basically have it memorized. But yeah, like he says in the film, "I AM a fuckin' asshole."

You never realize it until the fourth or fifth viewing, because you're so smitten with his job, his views on life, his ridiculously cool wardrobe, the record collection of the gods...that Pavement poster I really wish I had in my apartment...

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Haven't seen everything he's done, but everything I HAVE seen (beginning with Croupier, and followed up with Gosford Park)
    was satisfying. Even Shoot 'Em Up, which is by no means a great picture, but remains compelling viewing.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't know if it is true or not, but I was once told that Elvis never made a movie that bombed at the box office, no idea if that's true or not. Not a huge fan, but to me that sounds like a safe bet.

That being said these are my top 5 actors right now. Meaning right now. Not over history.

1) Decaprio
    2) Brad Pitt
    3) Matt Damon
    4) Clooney
    5) Seth Rogan

Consideration, no particular order:
    Russell Crowe -- Had an unbelieveable stretch of great movies but went a bit cold after Cinderella Man, but is starting to work his way back into my list. I thought he was good in Body of Lies, but it was a weird choice of a role for him, didn't force him to stretch his repitoire or really challenge him with an original role like so many of his really great roles.
    Joaquin Phoenix -- I think he has retired now, which takes him out of the running, but having trouble thinking of a bad Joaquin movie, where he sucked particularly.
    Will Smith -- his last couple of movies have been underwhelming. Pursuit of Happiness was a steaming bag of shit. Hancock was just disappointing.
    Ed Norton -- has gone cold of late, one of my favourites when he is on though.
    Orlando Bloom -- And I liked Kingdom of Heaven.
    Robert Downey Jr. -- been hot of late, but have not seen enough of his work.
    Johnny Depp -- I like him, but can be hit or miss far too much.
    Bruce Willis -- but he's got to stick to action.
    Tom Hanks -- hasn't knocked my hair back for a while. Same with Denzel Washington.
    Morgan Freeman -- great supporting actor, never one to really be a strong lead.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I was reading this thread and kept thinking "Christian Bale" ... glad to finally see his name pop into the discussion toward the end of page 4. Whether he meets the 10 minimum criteria, I'm not entirely sure, but here's what he's got on his ledger, as a star:

American Psycho $34 million worldwide
    Capt. Corelli's Mandolin $62 million (perhaps a stretch ... Cage definitely had top billing)
    Reign of Fire $82 million
    Laurel Canyon $4 million (low budget)
    Equilibrium $5 million
    Harsh Times $3 million (low budget)
    -------Might make a divider here because Batman Begins began a new part of his career----------
    Batman Begins $372 million
    The New World $13 million
    Rescue Dawn $5 million
    The Prestige $53 million (US only)
    3:10 to Yuma $53 million (US only)
    The Dark Knight $531 million (US only), 8 or 9 figures in most other countries as well

Not many bombs in there, however you weigh box office vs. critical acclaim.

Also, keep in mind, he'll be moving up the list. In addition to having at least one more Batman movie, he's starring in what will almost certainly be another Terminator trilogy and has "Public Enemies" (starring alongside Johnny Depp) coming out this year.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I believe "Public Enemies" is a Michael Mann film, which is enough to get me to go see it.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

... as opposed to a Michael Moore film, which would be enough to get me to upchuck on it. :)

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

michael douglas?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Freeman is a terrific actor who frankly has little interest in taking the kind of roles that require him to, well, act. Maybe one out of five. But he's good...really good.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Can't say I have seen any of his work, and I probably won't

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

After watching "Body of Lies" I think it's definitely DiCaprio. Even his bombs are well-acted good films, even if it's a subject matter that nobody wants to watch.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, but if it's a subject matter nobody wants to watch, it's a strikeout, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted