1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie scenes that make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 29, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I laughed so hard I cried during the scene in Happy Gilmore where Chubbs got his hand knocked off.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

There's another one!

3. The final scene of Cinema Paradiso - - Salvatore discovers that Alfredo has left him the footage of all of the kisses.

Life is Beautiful - - the scene in the prison camp in which Guido translates instructions from the German guard in order to keep the truth from his son.

Crash - - the young girl jumps into her father's arms thinking she her magic cape will protect him from being shot.

The Dirty Dozen - - Jefferson (Jim Brown) dies just a few feet short of safety. (Only because I'm a Browns fanboy.)

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Similar scene for me, in Down Periscope.

Where the sub has to run silent and Buckman lets out this huge smelly fart and no one can say a word or make a sound.
    One of the funniest scenes and the only words said are at the end, when someone says, "Someone needs to sew his ass shut."

One more that fits into the intended theme of the thread:
    the ending of Hoosiers, when they win the championship.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

first movie i ever cried at: "born free." i was 9 and went with my day camp group. when the woman returns to the jungle to find the tiger cub all grown up, well, it got dusty for me, an emotion i never knew films could bring out in me. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

6. KG

KG Active Member

Oh that one really tore me up.

Wilson floating away had tears flowing.

The scene near the end of The Notebook where they're lying in the bed had me absolutely sobbing.

The scene in What Dreams May Come where he tries to reach his wife after she commits suicide.

I usually watch a movie that I think will have a sad part in it without my husband, because he has a tendency to ruin the moment by making these really loud fake crying noises.

7. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

Some of the ones that have been mentioned, particularly Field of Dreams.

Also, The Rookie, when Jim Morris (Dennis Quaid) calls home to tell his son that he's been called up to the big leagues. Every single time.

8. doctor x

doctor x Member

Apollo XIII when the capsule emerges from a four-minute blackout and astronaut Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) confirms they're alive and OK, followed by the reactions at Mission Control and Lovell's home.

Powerful no matter how many times I've seen it, besides knowing from history that they made it.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Hey, I didn't know my wife was posting here! :)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Casablanca.

Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.

I don't care what anyone says, it's the greatest American movie of all time.

End of thread.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not so end of thread there bud. It might be the greatest American movie of all time, but we're talking tearjerkers here bud. So either start crying, or move it along :D

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Another vote for Forest Gump.

Also when Bambi goes looking for his mom after the hunter caps her. One of my middle school teachers referred to the movie as "Yo Momma's Venison."

Will add Brokeback Mountain when Jake gets his head beat in, Crash with the girl's cape too, Shawshank Redemption, Ghost, Titanic, Philadelphia and Remember the Titans.

I'm not ashamed to admit them either.

Draft saved Draft deleted