1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie scenes that make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Second that particular Frrest Gump scene, AA.

I get misty more from being inspired, like in Return of the King when the Riders of Rohan show up on the hill and I remember the line from the book: "Rohan had arrived at last." King Theoden, seeing the hopeless odds on the Pellennor fields, decides he better say SOMETHING to his troops, so he rides down the line, banging his sword off their spears and yelling about glory and the red dawn.

DAMN.

I also get misty from inspiration in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indy rides out on the horse, one exhausted as hell man against the Nazis. The Raiders march music is playing, he's pursuing evil, and . . .damn, what a heroic scene. Bonus points for that film always taking me back to being a wide-eyed six-year-old in the theater, wanting to buy a whip ASAP.

And yeah, I'll say it. In E.T., when dudes are riding their bikes over the hills trying to escape the feds, I get misty while remembering the seven-year-old me, just as wide-eyed and wanting to be a better bike rider.

And at the end of Rocky, when Adrian comes to the ring, all he can think of is to ask "Where's your hat?" and they embrace, two people who had nothing and found each other, and take great comfort in that. Gets me every time.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Gets me every time. Makes me think of the days we'd be out playing catch, my dad would tell me not everybody's dad would be doing this and "someday the old man won't be around." Foolishly, I'd think to myself "Shut the fuck up and throw me the ball."

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's not a movie, but I always feel I'm on the verge of tears during the last part of the last episode of Boy Meets World. Ever since I was younger, I always found the classroom scene where Feeny gives Cory, Topanga, Shawn and Eric one last message, telling them to "Do good." Then, after they leave, he says, "I love you all."

I've never cried, but I always feel it. Always.

4. chester

chester Member

Absolutely gets me every time I see it, partially because I always think back to how much I took for granted those times me and my dad did play catch when I was younger.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Wow, good thread.

Ol' Yeller .... :'(

Any sappy Disney movie now (my mother loved those and since she's gone, I often think of her when one of them comes on). :'( (yes even the animated ones!)

Sideways (when Miles hits the dog in the deleted scenes section)

Where the Red Fern Grows (the book made we weep for hours and dammit this movie did too!)

Forrest Gump when he buries his mother and when he buries Jenny (the simple dialogue is moving as hell - You died on a Tuesday)

there are others, I just can't think right now.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Forrest Gump when he meets his son for the first time. "Is he like ... like me?" Tears me apart. Every. Single. Time. In fact, it's quite dusty in here right now.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I recall getting misty in, of all movies, This is Spinal Tap when Nigel comes back. How embarrassing!

Also, the end of the wedding reception scene in Diner, as they fade out the sound of Paul Reiser making his toast and the bouquet ends up on the table in front of the guys.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Most of mine have already been mentioned: Field of Dreams and Rudy almost always get to me. Armageddon and Rocky always get me tear-eyed.

Haven't seen Miracle for a while, but I know I'd probably get teary when they win the gold or beat the Soviets. Also haven't seen Friday Night Lights for a while, but I love the parking lot scene at the end of the movie:
    Brian Chavez: I'm gonna miss the heat.
    Don Billingsley: I'm gonna miss the lights.
    Brian Chavez: Yeah, me too. Stay low boys, keep those feet moving.
    Don Billingsley: Hey Chavez! Be perfect.
    Brian Chavez: You be perfect.
    Don Billingsley: See you Mike.
    Then Mike throws the football to the little kids...Great scene.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The final scene when E.T. leaves made me cry when I was two ...

Also, in Schindler's List when Oskar Schindler laments how he could have saved more people.
    Michael "forgiving" Fredo then looking over at Al Neri in Godfather II.
    "Wanna have a catch?"
    The end of Hotel Rwanda when Paul Rusesebagina walks off with kids in tow.

That's about it, I think.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Without the music background, I'd probably be fine.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I will second Forrest Gump when he's talking to Jenny's grave.

...like ... a ... little ... girl.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Wilson.

The visit from officials to Private Ryan's mother.

The search for survivors in Titanic. I just can take that. All those frozen bodies.

Just remembered another: We were Soldiers, when the wives are going around handing out telegrams.

Draft saved Draft deleted