1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movie Remakes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 16, 2012.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I will find that on cable. Looks pretty cool.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The scene where the careworkers at the nursing home set up the old people as fodder for their favorite drivers was great.
    Kind of said something deeper about our sporting culture, too, if you think about it.

3. turski7

turski7 Member

Word is Tom Cruise is scouting locations for a possible Top Gun 2. I guess Maverick will take the role of Viper and Iceman counters as Jester. Just hope Val Kilmer can fit into a cockpit.
    Also, I thought 3:10 to Yuma with Crowe and Bale was pretty solid.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed it, but never saw the original. Anyone seen both the Taking of Pelham 123 films? I have seen neither. Just wondering how they compare.

5. turski7

turski7 Member

Saw the second one. Average, I guess. Served its purpose of killing two hours.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Now I'm contemplating buying a 'Star Blazers' box set.
    I am a dork.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess is Cruise will have a female be the young cocky "top gun" with a chip on her shoulder. You know some hot actress who will decide to switch teams in 15 years.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

So was the first. Though I saw it in 2010, so maybe it was better 30 years prior. Still, It seemed like a "Clash of the Titans" type -- you look and that premise and say, "We could do better." They didn't, but it was understandable why it was worth an effort.

That's unlike, say, "Total Recall," which was magic in a bottle and should have been seen as something that couldn't be recaptured. Nor were there any universal themes that could be reawakened. Also, Colin Farrell wouldn't sound funny saying "Get your ass to Mars," so what's the point? What an underwhelming way to piss away $200 million.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

same here.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm with Buck on "The Manchurian Candidate." To title the second the same as the first was an absolute insult to the original.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Bonfire of the Vanities done right. Great source material but the film version was horribly miscast with a brutal screenplay, deliberately failed to capture the characters in any way and took the absolute wrong tone. Deserved to be the flop it was.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The direct-to-video/TV movie remake of '12 Angry Men' pales in comparison to the original.

Draft saved Draft deleted