1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move along; nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Beanpole has nailed this perfectly, unfortunately.

And, yes, it IS better than not having a job, no question. We are still one notch above that (for now, anyway).

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Each person has to decide that for themselves. For me, it wasn't. The constant nit-picking and not being given the resources to do your job the way you believed was right wasn't worth it. For me, it came down to "If this is really what it has come to, I don't need it."

I'm not saying everyone has to reach the same decision.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Mark, given an alternative, I would make the same call. Given all the details of my situation, that is not the case, unfortunately. Most of the good people I work alongside have the exact same feelings, but our options alas are few.

Seriously, props to you for making it work. I bow in admiration (and, yes, a bit of envy, too).

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, to some extent I understand. But I also understand that we as individuals have to take responsibilities for our lives and not just go along like slaves to ungrateful overlords.

Most of the people I have worked with through the years have the talent and drive to be equally as successful outside of the newspaper/media industry. There are times when I miss the newsroom. There are other times --- such as being free on Christmas Eve --- that I don't miss it one bit.

Whatever you decide is right for you, I wish you the best in 2013.

5. milkboneunderwear

milkboneunderwear New Member

So being jobless is better than putting up with the lack of resources and poor management? Are you independently wealthy?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You don't have to be jobless. Do you really think working for these minions is the ONLY thing you can do?

And, like lots of others, I suspect, it was never about the money. If it was, there were many other things one can do that pay better for less work.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is why I said I wasn't sure if it was legal or not, but the employees should ban together and refuse to sign it en masse. They won't be able to fire everyone at once.

Just like when Halifax took over those papers in Florida and told the employees they would be fired unless they signed a non-compete that was blatantly unfair. The employees got together and told Halifax to go fuck themselves.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Here's a novel idea. How about a Christmas party without serving alcohol?

I suspect that your company is too cheap to pay for a nice dinner and a $25 giftcard to Walmart. THAT is the real reason for no longer having a Christmas party --- NOT the fear of someone getting a DWI.

But please continue living in that idealistic world. I used to live there, decades ago, and I wish I could somehow return but reality keeps slapping me in the face.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Doc, once again, you've nailed it. This year, though, we were bumped from $25 to $35 for our gift cards.

10. Doc Holliday

They actually increased your gift card? Wow.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Doc, sure did. The next day, we got the word our eff-you days will be continued for the first quarter of 2013. The gift that keeps on giving, indeed. I'd much rather prefer the Jelly of the Month club.

12. Doc Holliday

Just think, that would get you half a tank of gas in my neck of the woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted