1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Move along; nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How the fuck is that legal unless the persons are driving a company vehicle?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty much. That's the only sort of message these morons comprehend.

One time, a news desker and myself pondered the idea of blowing deadline by like 3 hours one night to get management's attention over some problems that were being swept under the rug. We decided not to do it, but it wouldn't have been a horrible idea. Not like, say, shooting up a school or something.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

And that is very poor taste.

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Just know that these cry-me-a-river-I'm-broke bastards have a luxury suite at Bama ball games. And increasingly they are building the Third Reich among their leadership. This company should be listed in oneof those "worst companies to work for" stories. Because, well, it is. Or was, when I was wearing one of their swastikas.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can't argue with that.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't know about the legal ramifications, but I'd think it'd give the company execs a bit of pause to suddenly find themselves either facing a bunch of lawsuits and/or employees demanding thousands of dollars for unpaid overtime and gas mileage. Even if the employees don't have a case, the execs won't want to be dealing with pissed off workers and risk a judge deciding that the workers do have a case.

Depending on the state, they would have to prove they had a compelling reason to demand employees have a clean driving record. Reporters and photogs are one thing, because they have to travel for their job, and if they can't drive because of their record, that affects their job. But copy editors going to and from work is a different matter. Especially if, say, a copy editor got into a car accident on their way to work. The company wouldn't be on the hook for it. The driver's own insurance would be.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do other industries have policies like that? For people other than those for whom driving is a regular part of the job?

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I know this, when my company faces any kind of issue with an employee or multiple employees, they lawyer up quick with one of the best dang attorneys in my city. They never lose. The difference here is, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, it's whose got the best lawyer and can outlast the other in a long court battle. The Execs always win unless you're Erin Brockavich.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. That's why it seems easier to switch than to fight it. Even if you "win", you're still dealing with a very unpleasant work environment. Is it really worth that?

10. milkboneunderwear

milkboneunderwear New Member

What are you doing now?

11. milkboneunderwear

milkboneunderwear New Member

Better than not having a job at all, isn't it? SIGH

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

It's legal. Heartless and awful, but legal.

First, the company issues a policy in which it says as a condition of employment, you acknowledge that the company will pull your driving records and review them periodically, and drivers who are flagged by the company's insurance policy are ineligible for employment. You tell them that anyone who doesn't sign by X date will lose their jobs immediately.

So the employee is forced to sign an unfair, lopsided document so they can keep their job and bread on the table, and makes their continued employment at the discretion of an insurance company that is giving CNHI a discount if they can ensure that all of their employees have sterling driving records and are unlikely to run a red light on an assignment or driving home from work.

It was at the same time that this policy went into effect that my office stopped doing a holiday Christmas party because we didn't want the liability of someone drinking one to many beers at a company function and getting a DUI or worse on the way home.

Draft saved Draft deleted