1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mountain West Conference

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by partain, Jan 15, 2010.

1. partain

partain Member

Only place I've seen this so far is on the Mountain West Conference website. Don't know exactly when it was posted, so you might want to hurry and get your resumes in.

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
    ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS

The Mountain West Conference is accepting applications for an Assistant Director of Communications position.

Responsibilities:
    The selected candidate will report to the Associate Commissioner for Communications and assist with the day-to-day operations of the communications office. Will serve as the primary media contact for several sports, maintain sport statistics, update MWC Web site, produce and write press releases and media guides, and perform other writing projects and duties as assigned by the Associate Commissioner for Communications.

Preferred Qualifications:
    Bachelor's Degree in public relations, technical journalism, mass communications or re¬lated field. A minimum of two years of full-time or internship experience at a college, university, conference or professional sports franchise involving media relations; strong written and verbal communication skills; advance skill in QuarkXPress, InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Netitor; weekend and evening hours required, and some travel expected. Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a high-paced work and event environment; aptitude to research and analyze statistical data; capability to evaluate and make recommendations to improve operations; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of constituents, including student-athletes, coaches, university and athletic administrators, and members of the media.

Compensation:
    Full-time appointment with salary commensurate with experience; Benefits package including both medical and dental insurance, and an employer-paid retirement program.

To Apply:
    Qualified applicants should send a letter of application, a resume, work samples and references to:

Javan Hedlund
    Associate Commissioner for Communications
    Mountain West Conference
    15455 Gleneagle Dr., Suite 200
    Colorado Springs, CO 80921

Candidates can also email their information to jhedlund@themwc.com.

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.

The Mountain West Conference is an equal opportunity employer. More information about the Mountain West Conference is available at www.TheMWC.com.

2. ripple

ripple Member

Not a bad gig, from the looks of it. A lot of work, looks like.

3. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Wonder how much something like this would pay...

4. Garner

Garner Member

BYU sucks.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

More than a sports writer. They aren't looking for someone to jump over from print from the look of the ad, even though I'm sure they'd be more qualified than someone who just interned in college.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've been looking to make a change and put in for it. I'll update when (if) I hear anything.

7. GL Editude. Loved in Colorado Springs for a while, working in the PR Dept for the Triple A baseball team. Great area - but very, very conservative.

8. ripple

ripple Member

This made me laugh.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

I'm told there was a hire ... and it was not me.

10. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

I got a printed, hand-signed letter from Javan saying that I wasn't selected for this position. Never have I been more happy to not get a job. It's nice that someone actually acknowledges that you applied.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

We have a hire:

http://www.themwc.com/genrel/022310aaa.html

12. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

By the looks of the picture and and him being a 2009 grad, it is safe to say they were looking for someone young and on the cheap? Regardless, good for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted