1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mountain West Conference seeking automatic BCS bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

How about no automatic qualifiers? Pick the best teams for the best bowls.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think we need to see an MWC school Big Ten school win a BCS game or two before they start talking about deserving a BCS slot.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Adding the MWC champion also removes an at-large bid. That's a tough pill for the SEC / Big 12 schools to swallow. My guess is nothing would happen unless the BCS restores the JerryBowl to the top tier.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It still leaves three at-large berths. That should be enough to pacify the SEC/Big 12/Big Ten/Pac-10. You can only have two teams per conference and every year one of those conference's second-place team isn't worthy.

Like I said, cave a little and let the MWC in, or get sued/legislated out of existence.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

A game or two? You mean like the two Utah has won?

6. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

Funny how the commish says 10 teams don't work? Seems the Pac-10 is doing just fine with 10 teams.

Could the real reason for not wanting Boise State in the league be Boise State's record against Mountain West teams this decade?

Commish needs to think about the future. Boise State has only been playing major-college football for about 12 or 13 years and they've had a pretty high level of success. How about imagining what the landscape might be in 2012 or 2015 and not worry about whether Boise State's overall program is on par with BYU and Utah, etc., in 2008-09.

You can't tell me Wyoming's overall program is a superior enterprise. Or Colorado State or New Mexico. And the football programs at UNLV and San Diego State have been horrid. Since this whittles down to being a football decision and not an overall athletic department decision, this shouldn't take more than one meeting between the conference presidents and ADs.

Just add the Blue Turf now and take a chance on the foursome of Utah, TCU, BYU, Boise State getting you an automatic bid. If you don't add Boise State, then shut up Commish and wait until Obama ends the Bowl Corruption System.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

My guess would be because of the scholarship limitations that accompany Title IX. I could be completely making that up, but given that it offers 10 women's sports (including softball) and seven men's, that's my guess.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Pretty sure whoever asked the question was looking for wins from the non-Utah schools.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy takes offense.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also let the Cotton Bowl in at Jerry's place, then make the championship game a play-in game.

Not ideal, but if they can't just throw the damn bowl games out then it's a start.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Couldn't agree MORE!! Like the Big East deserves an automatic bid. Well, what about C-USA or the MAC,for pete's sake?

We have too many bowls, too many games on TV, too much money in the system. It's all gone to hell and ADDING more teams, more games, more money isn't going to fix anything!!

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Oh, goody, this argument again. Comparing the Big East to C-USA or the MAC? Guess you missed Big East teams validating themselves by winning three straight BCS games from the 2005-07 seasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted