1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mountain West Conference seeking automatic BCS bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The MWC has top markets with Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Salt Lake City and San Diego. The problem is that TCU and Colorado State are No. 2 (at best) in their markets and Reno, Albuquerque, Cheyenne and Colorado Springs don't have enough viewers to matter.

Edited because I can't keep my non-BCS western conferences straight.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Reno (University of Nevada) is in the WAC.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

TCU isn't even No. 5 in DFW.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lot of MWC teams don't have baseball. That shouldn't be a stumbling block. But it'[s tough to find a travel partner for Boise State, which would be necessary for basketball if it became a 10-team league.

I'd say in most years, the Mountain West football champion would be as competitive in a BCS bowl game as the ACC or Big East has been.

The current BCS leagues simply don't want to turn a 1/6 revenue share into a 1/7 revenue share. And they won't give the MWC a guaranteed bid until they're absolutely forced to, as the last resort to prevent a playoff system, or by the threat of a credible lawsuit, both of which would coulod finish the BCS.

The thing is, if they add a MWC guaranteed berth, they almost eliminate the biggest threat to a potential lawsuit, still make a ton of money, and virtually guarantee the system will continue in virtually its current form.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Which is why, as much as the MWC may deserve it, I hope they get left out. A lawsuit is the only chance of a playoff ever happening in major college football.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This year. What happens in 10 years when a MAC team or C-USA team goes 12-0 or 13-0, finishes 13th in the nation and doesn't get a bid?

Hypothetically, there are situations where a school from one of those conferences could get a couple wins over top 25 programs and find themselves in that situation. Highly unlikely, although ask someone in 1999 what the odds of Utah getting snubbed out of a National Championship in football and they would tell you that would be unlikely as well.

Leave it to the BCS to try and solve one team's problem each year instead of overhauling the system. This year it's the Mountain West that benefits, next year someone else. In two years maybe they tweak the formula again, and maybe by 2045 they will have something that works.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Instead of adding the Mountain West, take away the Big East's automatic berth (they got it on the back of Miami) and make it an automatic to be shared among the non-BCS conferences.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wyoming doesn't have a baseball team either. Neither does CSU. The lack of a baseball team at Boise shouldn't be an obstacle.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think we need to see an MWC school other than Utah win a BCS game or two before they start talking about deserving a BCS slot.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why doesn't Boise have a baseball team?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This year, sure. Most years...umm, no.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have no idea. They have a club team.

I wasn't saying that having a baseball team is what stopped Boise State from joining the MWC, I was just saying they don't.

What stopped BSU from going to the MWC, is the lack of quality in its other athletic programs. The tennis team is pretty good. The track and field team is decent. The men's basketball team has had some good years. Other than that, though, it is pretty shoddy.

Oh, and its wrestling team is really good, but I doubt the MWC cares about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted