1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mount Rockmore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 2, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Robert Johnson -- after all, he started it all, right?
    Bo Diddley -- Bridge between blues and rock
    Elvis
    Lennon
    Cobain

2. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

1. Elvis (gotta start with the King)
    2. Lennon
    3. Hendrix
    4. Bo Diddley

If they don't get the big heads, at least give 'em a plaque at the base of the mountain:

1. Dylan
    2. Springsteen
    3. Johnny Cash
    4. Jerry Lee Lewis
    5. Buddy Holly
    6. Axl Rose
    7. Bono
    8. Eddie Van Halen
    9. Mick Jagger
    10. Eddie Vedder
    *Ranked in no particular order

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Berry
    Lennon
    Springsteen
    Presley

- McCartney's off due to stuff like Ebony&Ivory and Say,Say,Say

- I'm tempted to bump Presley in favor of Dylan because of his lame movies and songs in most of those movies... if McCartney can get bumped for his solo dreck, then Presley might get bumped for his Hollywood dreck

- Cash was more country than rock; Ray Charles more r&b than rock, so they don't make my list.

Other contenders for the monument:
    - Dylan (as previously mentioned)
    - Buddy Holly
    - John Fogerty
    - Ray Davies
    - Mick Jagger/Keith Richards (their solo stuff both sucks, so I can't choose one over the other)
    - Jimmy Page/Robert Plant (both impressive away from Zep, so can't choose one over the other)
    - Pete Townsend (better solo stuff than Roger Waters, so he gets the nod)
    - Jerry Lee Lewis
    - Fats Domino
    - James Brown (although he might qualify more as r&b/soul than rock)
    - Janis Joplin
    - Jimi Hendrix

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Virtually everything that followed Chuck Berry copied Chuck Berry. If this is a straight vote for greatness and influence and not just playing favorites, Chuck Berry is absolutely the first head that goes up.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll do it this way...

50s - Elvis
    60s - Lennon
    70s - Plant
    80s - Rose
    90s - Vedder
    00s - Bono (who could also be 80s or 90s)

6. If you put Axl Rose or Eddie Vedder up there, I'm blowing the damned thing up.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Y'all can continue the discourse on whose heads go on the mountain, but the bar at the base has got to be named, Keith Moon's Saloon.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And of course, they'll all be singing the Def Leppard fav, Rock of Ages...

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Chuck Berry copied himself.

Dude had two riffs.

Riding along in my automobile (dana, dana, dana - NUNT!)

Now listen:

Ring, ring goes the bell (dana, dana, dana - NUNT!)

I've heard the opening riff to Roll Over Beethoven and thought it was Johnny B. Goode countless times.

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

You, sir are an idiot. :p

Vedder will be regarded as one of the most influential front men of a rock band ever by the time they're done.
    Not just by grunge fans or Pearl Jam fans, but everyone. Name another grunge-era band that's been getting it done for 20 plus years now across the world.
    You can't.
    They not only get it done, they've done it with a certain sense of modesty. Yeah they're rock stars with egos, but you don't see them out there doing whatever they can to be a mainstay on the Billboard top 100.
    Additionally,
    Vedder deserves to be up there over Presley. All Elvis did was copy Robert Johnson and Chuck Berry.
    He just happened to be white and fortunate enough to meet Sam Phillips. I understand that he's the "King of Rock", but I've never been a fan.
    If imitation is considered the highest form of flattery, why is it that you rarely see anyone cover Elvis songs?
    Meanwhile Bob Dylan's songs have been covered by a long list of rock artists/bands like Neil Young, Hendrix, U2, Rage against the Machine, Pearl Jam, and others who I can't think of off the top of my head.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Someone mentioned Ray Charles earlier....

here's what he had to say about Elvis
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n12_v86/ai_15656700

12. (talking in a hushed tone) Can I ask about the other "Mount" threads that seemed to have caused some ruckus or another? Or will I be banned simply for asking? Sorry. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted