1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mount Airy newspaper wars

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by curiousreader, Sep 7, 2008.

1. curiousreader

curiousreader New Member

I saw this link in a Raleigh publication and wondered how the two daily papers in Mount Airy are faring. I understand that the Messenger has started a Sunday edition and that cuts have been made at some Heartland papers? Is that true?

http://www.raleigh3.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=1244&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2724&hn=raleigh3&he=.com

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Mayberry has two papers? Good thing Aunt Bee ain't around. She'd hate to see her town growing up so much.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Heartland cleaned house some time ago - a year, perhaps - mere days after purchasing the Mount Airy News. And they've been busy gutting everything else they touch.

I know an editor who got rudely run out in Mount Airy ... and luckily, the publisher got so fed up that he left in protest. Certainly one case where this board can't take aim for the top position ...

Good for the Surry Messenger. Given Heartland's "method" of running a publication, it needs to be exposed for the poor, rotten scum it appears to be.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Given the overall depression in this business, the fact that there are two daily papers in a city with a population of 8,000 is off the charts. The Messenger, which is a free all-local paper, has the advantage of competing against those dunces at Heartland.

Draft saved Draft deleted