1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Motorcycle riders died doing what they love, says newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 10, 2014.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nelson Rockefeller died doing what he loved. And died doing who he loved, too. Motorcycle or bike riders, probably not, unless they actually keel over and die while on their bikes, instead of (as has been said) they impact something at 45 MPH.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I work at a paper in a military-heavy area, and that's one thing they drill into us here: You don't "win" a medal and you aren't "given" a medal -- you EARN it </john houseman>. Or you are awarded one. It's one of those things I didn't think about before and probably wouldn't have otherwise, but I get the logic. It's an honor symbolizing bravery and grace under fire, not a prize or gift.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

My favorite military whine topic is that there are no "former" or "ex" Marines.

BitterYoungMatador2, Songbird and Ace like this.
  4. Mystery Meat II

Here, we've only gotten it with "ex". Generally we shy from ex anything, unless we have a tight fit on display type space.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's a girl who died doing what she loved.

Sad story. Hard lesson for others.

A North Carolina woman died Thursday in a car wreck, apparently moments after posting on Facebook how much she liked "the happy song."

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/04/woman_dies_in_car_wreck_moments_after_posting_about_happy_song_on_facebook.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, I absolutely get the logic. I just think the tone was unnecessary and dickish.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As opposed to the tone in this statement:

Lazy reporters and writers constantly do this sort of thing. I remember reading a story about a guy who drowned while out fishing, and he had also supposedly died doing what he loved. Unless he really did love choking on water and algae, but I doubt it.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

This is actually correct, but woe to the reporter who tries to use it in a story about him. :D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

When I single somebody out with a statement like that, you'll have a half-decent comparison.

Until then, as usual, you're just trolling.

10. Mystery Meat II

So she died happy. Just like Nelson Rockefeller.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The obvious question being "Was it worth it?"

[​IMG]

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Came and went at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted