1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mothership lets a racial slur slip in a headline on its mobile browser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggy0125, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Either way is wrong, especially if the subject is Lin. Any idiot with common sense should be able to see that.

2. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Nope. TV people are paid well enough to know all the bad words and forbidden ground. And zero tolerance, if that's your game, should not be practiced subjectively.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

You're a moron. Chink in the armor means crack or flaw. It does not mean Asian person. He's not making a plan on words. He's using a common idiom, which not a single person would have given a second thought to had he said it about Carmelo.

Instead of focusing on gotcha stupidity, try to combat actual racism.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

H.L. Mencken usually sounds more cleverer.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Although I agree with you in substance, I couldn't help but be struck by the irony within this post.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have sympathy for the anchor, because with the way he asked the question, there was nothing racist about it.

The headline writer is a moron. I don't believe his excuse for a second.

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Great zinger. I can clearly see how type = irony.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Your zinger - "You're a moron" because he disagrees with you - was pretty creative, too.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Ambrose Bierce is shuddering at the possibility that his name could be next.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Hmm. There is a flow to this logic. Unfortunately, that flow is coming straight out of your rear end.

You absolutely canNOT use that phrase in connection with Jeremy Lin, or anyone else of Asian descent. It's not even an arguable point.

11. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Mencken, you're a pansy. So there.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Keep fighting pointless "word" battles, folks. And keep ignoring the real problems. It's the same kind of thinking that forces us to crucify someone who used the word "niggardly" even though the word has nothing at all to do with the offensive and racist n-word. It just sounds similar, so we have to be offended. It's what allows us to ignore real problems, real ignorance, but feel like we're doing something.

Draft saved Draft deleted