1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother of the year candidate: Landon Collins' mom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 5, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Steak is right. This was the kid's moment. A good parent wouldn't have made it about it them.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I thought Collins would go to LSU. He has high school teammates at both schools, Eddie Lacy at Alabama and Eric Reid at LSU. I thought he'd go LSU considering that Reid is basically playing his future position and Reid sort of showed that LSU DBs can impress scouts. Particularly against Alabama. I recall him making a play in that game...

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I wonder how much each school's boosters offered to pay the family.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Calloway was verbally committed to Alabama for well over a year before flipping to Auburn at the U.S. Army game. But either way, his stepdad (or adopted dad, or whatever it was) is no more excusable than Collins' mom was.

The only thing you should say publicly is "it's his decision and we'll support him either way." What you do behind closed doors is your own business.

5. BrianGriffin

Like I said, he has high school teammates at both schools, so he could get a pretty nice comparison between the offer and the reality ;)

6. Steak Snabler

Probably a depth chart thing. I know Alabama's two safeties are a senior (Mark Barron) and a redshirt junior who is considering entering the draft (Robert Lester) and the guys behind them are not exactly considered big-timers (other than Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix).

At LSU he'd still have to beat out Craig Loston, right?

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Roll Tide.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A) What if she didn't know the kid was going to pick Alabama? If the kid blindsided her, she could have been surprised as anyone.
    B) Did you see the dog-and-pony show? ESPN did everything but put in a fireplace and a cocker spaniel to promote a family atmosphere?
    "Landon, why is everyone else here but your mom? Why is she standing over there?"
    "Well, she thinks I'm a dumbass for turning down LSU and wanted no part of this."

She didn't say Alabama was a heinous choice and condemning him. She said she preferred another choice and it was a better fit.
    If there needed to be more discussion, then he shouldn't have caved to TV. Boo-fucking-hoo

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Apparently, anti-Bama fans are as ridiculous as Bama fans.

10. Steak Snabler

Watching the video again, she seemed pretty unhappy from the beginning, so it seems like she knew it would be Alabama.

11. BrianGriffin

Yeah, but Loston has been a bit of a frequently-injured disappointment. Now, he may finally get healthy next year, but he (and his cousin, Shepard) haven't lived up to their billing.

Meanwhile, guys like Taylor and Mathieu were sort of afterthoughts in recruiting and have emerged as pretty good players.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

There was some serious disconnect there between mom and son. Made me wonder why they were competing so hard against each other at that late stage. And, of course, it was all presented as his Rock Star Moment, which gets worse from year to year for kids who are still in high school.

Hope all those new Rock Stars can handle the academics.

Draft saved Draft deleted