1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Nature at it again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smash Williams, May 22, 2011.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Joplin, Mo., took a direct hit from at least one mile-wide tornado this afternoon and the storm is grinding its way across the Midwest right now. At least 24 dead in Joplin.

Pictures:
    Local hospital
    [​IMG]

Local Walmart
    [​IMG]

2. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I was half-watching at the time, but I think a Weather Channel reporter was so shaken by the magnitude of it that he got choked up for a moment and they cut away or cut short his interview. And I point that out not as a criticism of him.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Mike Bettes just choked up again interviewing some guys who had been transporting injured people to local hospitals. There have already been some horrifying stories of people getting swept out the windows of the hospital that got hit. I think we're going to hear more stories like that in the next couple of days.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Listening to the Jasper County police scanner channel on some Android app. It's pure chaos.

Just heard..."Set up flashers by the bodies so the coroner can find them."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jesus...

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Was listening to the same scanner feed ... they are detailing police officers to drive to nearby medical schools because they've run out of body bags.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This isn't small-town Greensburg, which was awful enough.

Joplin is a town of 50,000 people. If it's 75 percent flattened like the Red Cross estimates, it is devastating.

A few of my old college buddies live there. I haven't talked to them a while, but they're on my mind tonight.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've experienced a tornado and a 7.0 earthquake.

The tornado was 10,000 times scarier. And it wasn't 1/10th the size of this Joplin one.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I have a lot of cousins in and around Joplin. I'm out of touch with most of them, but I'm sure I'll get some sort of word through my mother in the next day or two. I can't follow this kind of story. The tragedy swallows me whole. I'm already physically and emotionally numb thinking about the children.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I grew up in the Ozarks, and can't remember a single storm as deadly. Absolutely horrible.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I drive through Greensburg every year. Still has a few streets in the northwest part of town with nothing, but that city has done a helluva job rebuilding. Multiply by 25, and you have a city the size of Joplin. If 75 percent of that city is wiped out ...

And I just looked at the radar ... holy fuck ... a red band about 150 miles long is ready to hit Joplin and SW Missouri.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Red on radar is bad, but it's the white and purple inside the red that'll fuck you up.

One of those kinds of storms has fired up just in the last hour and is getting ready to go right across Fort Worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted