1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most years between roles, major actor/actress?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Trying to settle a bet. I consult the SportsJournalists.com oracle and seek your accumulated wisdom.

2. When Valentino comes back, that's your winner.

3. My money would be on Mae West, who made a 1970 film appearance in Myra Breckinridge, alongside Raquel Welch (I had no idea see was soooooo hot!!!).
    Before appearing in the big movie flop, West hadn't acted in a feature film since 1943!

My initial guess was Gloria Swanson, a former silent screen star who had a string of hits in the 1920s and 30s. She resurrected her career with the 1950 film "Sunset Blvd." One of my all-time favorite movies.
    After consulting IMDB, I discovered she had a film role in 1941.

4. There's still time for Ilan-Mitchell Smith (Wyatt from "Weird Science") to set the record. He hasn't been in a movie since 1989.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Jimmy Cagney was on a 20-year hiatus before coming back to do Ragtime.

Harold Russell (double-amputee vet) won two Oscars (best supporting and, later, an honorary) for The Best Years of Our Lives in 1946 and made a completely unexpected comeback in Inside Moves (1980), one of my favorite, little-celebrated flicks and one featuring one of my favorite unheralded actresses, Diane Scarwid. Russell ended up going on to several more roles -- his last years of his life turned out to be his best years as an actor.

YHS, etc

6. Not a record...but possibly the most recent lengthy hiatus that ended. Joe Pesci: 8 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted