1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most undeserving team to win a national title, college or pro...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be the first to agree about the 1990 Colorado team, but people forget how completely fucked up that season was... That may be the craziest season of college football of my lifetime...

Miami was the best team, but they had two losses...

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

2006 St. Louis Cardinals.

Pitcher with five wins and a plus-5.00 ERA starts Game 1.

1966 Notre Dame - tied with Michigan State while Alabama went unbeaten and untied.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

1997 Denver Broncos [/bitterpackfanboy]

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree witrh dog on this. Only championships that can be called "undeserving" are those that are awarded or voted on.
    Any team that wins a title on a field, court, ice, etc. earned it by beating whoever it was they had to beat.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I thought they lost to the Yankees or are you talking about the "Let them play!" team that beat the Toros?

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Was there another undefeated team that year that we don't know about?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, I'm a hockey fan. (I'm a Leafs fan but that's another story)

The 1995 Stanley Cup final may have been the most boring, most offensive hockey I've seen in the last 30 years.

It was an insult to anyone who has played the game --at any level.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

1937-38 Chicago Black Hawks

Regular season record of 14-25-9. Finished with the 6th best record of 8 teams, but made the playoffs because the Red Wings were worse at 12-25-11.

In those days, for whatever reason, the Black Hawks didn't play the top seed (division winners faced off in round 1, two second place team met, two 3rd place teams played). So CHicago played, in essence, 5th seeded Montreal in the first round. Lost game 1 of a best of three and won the next two.

Then played the 4th seed, NY Americans. Lost game 1, won the next two to advance.

Played the 3rd seed Maple Leafs in the Cup and won best of 5 in four games.

end of thread.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The Yankees, all 27 times. (Or however many it is.)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on that logic, Fresno State should have won the title in 1985...

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

1994 Nebraska football team [/Penn State fanboy looser]

1995 Dallas Cowboys...fuck you, Neil O'Donnell.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The 1990 season was nuts.

Illinois was in the driver's seat to win the Big 10 -- just had to beat Iowa at home and knock off a shitty Michigan team.

So Iowa wins 54-28 in Champaign. Then Illinois fucks it up in Ann Arbor the following week.

Then Iowa starts sucking. Somehow on the last week of the year, Illinois can still go to the Rose Bowl if six different things happen, including a tie between Michigan and Ohio State.

The first four happen. Michigan and Ohio State go to the end of the game tied at 13.

As I'm getting ready for a wedding -- one even nuttier than this season -- some asswipe for Michigan kicks a field goal to win the game.

That night, Iowa loses to Minnesota, yet still goes to the Rose Bowl.

Unbelievable.

Draft saved Draft deleted