1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most underappreciated song by ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Disc 2 of Sign 'O' the Times is on the same level as Purple Rain. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone call that album underrated before. The critical reception was and remains wildly positive. It was in the top 100 of Rolling Stone's greatest albums list.

Also, "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" was a single, though it didn't reach No. 1 for some reason. I agree that it's awesome, probably my favorite song from the album, though "The Cross" is close.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Absolutely, although I would say "U Got the Look" edges "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" as my favorite. If memory serves, the album was raved about by critics as a return to form after the Parade/Under the Cherry Moon misfire (especially the movie).

My "most underappreciated" Prince song would probably be "Party Up" off Dirty Mind -- one of my favorite Prince albums. It's a great album-ender, and I always thought it was cool when Prince broke away from the falsetto to get his message across.

Here's a cool live version, from Saturday Night Live: http://www.wat.tv/video/prince-partyup-saturday-night-5vi89_2hztv_.html

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Purple Rain was 13x platinum. Sign O' The Times only went 1x platinum. From the fan-whatevers themselves:
    http://prince.org/msg/7/299347

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Were those guitars cordless, or were they faking the music? Did cordless electric guitars even exist in 1981? Do they today? Just curious; I don't know guitar tech.

I saw the bass player do some spin moves, so I noticed there were no cords to get in the way for any of them. But all the SNL performances are live, right? So I wondered ...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm sure the technology was there in the 1960s when it started to matter. Just a small FM transmitter to plug into the guitar and a receiver to plug into the soundboard. Voila.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I still wish "Antichrist Television Blues" would've gone by its original title, "Joe Simpson"

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Parade is so underrated.

Draft saved Draft deleted