1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most self-stroking, gag-inducing lede ever by Mo Dowd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

From her interview with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

I cannot believe she turned this in:

"I thought Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert might be a little nervous to meet with me. I was the real news commentator, after all, and they were the mock. They threw spitballs at presidents; I interviewed presidents before throwing spitballs at them. I had crisscrossed the globe to cover news stories, while these guys just put on dark suits and threw up imported backgrounds on a dark screen. No doubt they would try to impress me with some weighty discussion about world affairs or the midterm elections."

And ...

"At last, they turn their attention to me. Their gazes are not, as I'd expected, full of respect."

Hmmm ... now why do Democrats get accused of elitism again? I can't figure it out.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stewart's and Colbert's shtick at the start of the story is amusing. Then they get serious midway through the article and it's sort of boring.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dowd loves her some Dowd.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I felt the opposite. Though when Stewart replied, "I didn't know we were going to have to be high to do this interview," it disarmed her. I guess that was the point of her self-righteousness at the beginning - setting herself up for the later fall. But I still don't like how she took an article about these guys and made it about herself. Couldn't help herself.

But I actually liked when they got serious - Stewart is very eloquent and I always thought Colbert was kind of like Sascha Baron Cohen - never out of character. Nice to see him get real.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What they were probably thinking of Ms. Dowd:

"I'd hit it."

6. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Do you think she might be joking? I do.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Yeah I think she was kidding and trying to create herself as a character, the highbrow NY Times writer coming to meet her "fake" counterparts. Not to say she's not elitist or pompous, but I've seen stories about her where she doesn't take herself very seriously as far as her life, not her beliefs.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Much as Dowd deserves shit from time to time, I read this as firmly tongue-in-cheek.

9. For whatever reasons, that's a really horseshit magazine lede.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sarcasm font.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yes, to a degree. But still a little reminder of her importance, wrapped in self-deprecation.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

absolutely

Draft saved Draft deleted