1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Profound Thing I've Ever Heard At A College Softball Game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Mar 17, 2012.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite scoring moments in my year as a softball SID. At the conference tournament I was the official scored for one game as the higher-seeded team's SID. We were in the field, and the batter hit the ball deep into the right side of the infield. I called out "4-8." The other people in the press box did a double take. Our center fielder was playing so shallow that she fielded the relay at second base. The other call: a player hit a home run, and the the runner on base was called out for missing the plate. The other coach caught it, appealed and an out was called on the lead runner.

As for the "big girls" ... Our third baseman was of Samoan ancestry (grew up in California, signed with a school in south Georgia for some reason). I met her dad after the conference tournament, it was like I was shaking hands with a catcher's mitt.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Alabama does have a very nice softball setup. And applying the earlier rule of thumb in this thread, they never would have gotten that far. Their first season was spent playing home games at a municipal park, on a field catty-corner to where my (then) fiancée's church league team spent their Tuesday nights. We're talking maybe 15 years ago.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Georgia's softball stadium is quite nice, too. It actually rivals many of the college baseball stadiums I went to. The College of Charleston's athletic complex at Patriots Point is nice, too.

As for the field where I SID'ed? It was part of a three-field complex that was originally arranged for intramurals. The shared building that faced the fields? Legend has it that it had been condemned. Though we did well with it. We hosted an invitational with two of the fields, and it included Tennessee at the time they had Monica Abbott, the future Olympic teamer. The Tennessee SID thanked us for putting on a good show, so that was nice hearing from an SID from the mighty SEC, to an intern (me) in a small conference.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Here's a thought, Coach: Not everyone who would like to be at the game can be at the game. So they have to find information about the game through someone else. Are you that person, or is someone else? Ultimately it's college softball, so don't sweat it either way.

5. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

The most profound thing I heard at a softball game was someone in the crowd mentioning when the left fielder came running in after the inning was over: "Wow, Kelly needs a sports bra."

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There are towns in here Ohio that have a population of about 800. When the town's high school plays a rival town of about the same size in boys basketball, either school can sell out its own 2,000 seat gymnasium.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Now if I could just convince my boss of that.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd argue that basketball's a different animal because it's played indoors.

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Stetson has an amazing set-up ... includes a jumbotron in centerfield. Press box includes a VIP area and the nearby Italian restaurant delivers a stromboni for each home game. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon.

BYU also had a great set-up...shared pressbox/VIP area with baseball with mountain view in the background.

To the guy in Charleston ... how far is that complex away from the Yorktown?

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Stetson has nice everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted