1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most 'precious' christmas stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Nov 25, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, isn't that precious?... :D

Cheery, too...geez...

There are actually still some innocent, not-all-knowing kids in the world who might manage to still believe in Santa up until about the age of 9 or 10, or so, you know -- even ones who are part of good families that still may be religious/spiritual/observant of especially significant holidays.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, go fuck yourself.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Almost every person who has posted in this thread is on your side of this argument.

If you have a 10-year-old who thinks Santa is real, that kid is going to be bullied and ostracized more than any 4-year-old who knows Santa is fake.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm glad I don't have a kid. This year, the little darling would likely get one gift from Santa because Santa is broke as hell. But just imagine how the little tyke will feel knowing that Santa brought all his friends five or six different gifts. Then, the little shit asks, "Why didn't Santa bring me as much as Johnny? Why does Santa like Johnny more than me?" Oh, boy.

I guess what I'm saying is ... if I'm put in a position where it would do more harm than good, I wouldn't keep up the Santa bit.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

In December of 2009 I was performing in “The Sound of Music” here in Toronto. During the Von Trapp children’s first scene, the 6 year old playing Gretel seemed somewhat distracted and kept looking at the same spot in the auditorium. This was unusual since the kids are always very focused and highly professional. The Children’s Director took her aside as soon as they came offstage to ask her what was going on only to be told “Santa is in the audience! He’s sitting in the 3rd row stage right!”

Word got around very fast backstage and we all started looking for him. Sure enough, there was a portly gentleman with a full white beard and white hair, wearing a red polo shirt. Everyone was discretely checking this guy out and the kids were discussing things backstage. When the 7 year old playing Marta pointed out that he wasn’t wearing a red suit, Gretel replied “Of course not. Those are his WORK clothes”. It was generally agreed that this made sense and that Santa would go to the theatre in his civvies to remain incognito. It was a really fun show, especially when the younger kids in the cast waved to him during the curtain call.

What we didn't know was that Stage Management had sent someone into the House to talk to the patron and explain what was going on. He was a very good sport and came backstage after the show to meet the cast as Santa (I have a feeling he’d played the role more than once before). The kids had a blast and I think the adults in the show had as much fun as our younger colleagues.

It was a really special night. Our cast was together for a year and a half and we had become a family. This was our own Christmas ‘miracle’.

And the kicker to this story – Gretel is Jewish. Her parents had never taught her about Christmas or Santa Claus. I think kids want and maybe even need to believe in magic. It’s not such a bad thing for grownups either.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Craig installed and used Google Chrome when he wanted to get online from my house. A couple of months ago, I finally opened it. Among his bookmarks I found "NORAD tracks Santa." It made me laugh but it didn't surprise me.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

superb post. just the kind of material i was hoping would be supplied by my talented friends here.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That is a great story. I still should have pounded the Crappy Tire guy when I had the chance. Joyeux Noel.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Other than the great posts from you, HC and a few others, I think you should change the title of this thread to "This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things"

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I still believe in "Steak and BJ Day" even though it seems like a myth. And if it happens, it will be a "miracle." :(

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The point is, kids may still believe, or, more likely, they're just not sure, either way, depending on how well a family plays along, and depending on who else they're exposed to, and importantly, who else they believe.

And if a kid was older by the time he or she definitely didn't believe, they would be unlikely to actually admit it, anyway, and so, how do you know for sure what a kid knows, and when?

So most people just play along. It's a tradition, a fun aspect of Christmas, and a well-meaning lie of omission, and nothing more harmful than that.

Reallly, does anyone actually really have "the talk" with regards to this, as if it's the birds and the bees, or something?

I think most kids just eventually figure it out, don't they? And then they play along for the benefit of the younger people in their lives.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As one of the oldest kids in a large family it felt like a real rite of passage when I got to keep 'playing along' for the younger ones. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted