1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated Beatles song...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I like the Yesterday spin offs, especially Syphillis.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Strawberry Fields Forever...it's a song about nothing.

Penny Lane - the other side of the single - though, I think is fantastic.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm one of the few on here that likes Michelle, I'm OK with Lady Madonna and I love Rocky Raccoon. But you can make a pretty good top 10 of overrated Beatles songs IMO:

Let It Be; All You Need Is Love; Hey Jude; Yellow Submarine; Run For Your Life; Birthday; Dr. Robert; Maxwell's Silver Hammer; And I Love Her; The Long and Winding Road.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I object to 'Dr. Robert' being considered over-rated.
    It isn't a popular or highly regarded song.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One of my fave Beatles songs. Can't imagine that being overplayed anywhere in the world.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Beatles never made shitty music.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Let it Be. My favorite is Love Me Do.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Beatles concerts smelled like piss, and other interesting facts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/beatles-things-you-didnt-know_n_5648410.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Glad to see Hey Jude getting votes here. And not just because it was overplayed. Whenever I think about what a Beatles reunion might have been like -- all of 'em in their 60s and, y'know, alive -- I think of that tune with the inevitable, prolonged, sign-songy "na, na na, na-nuh-nuh-na..." going on forever with the audience bellowing it, everyone drowning in nostalgia while the lads take some oxygen. At which point it feels like we missed hardly anything at all.

10. vicd

vicd Active Member

Most overrated song: Hey Jude or Let it Be (Long and Winding Road is the worst song)
    Most overrated album: Sgt. Pepper
    Most overrated Beatle: Paul
    Most underrated Beatle: Yoko

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The thing about John is, well, he was kind of a dick about some of his pretty good songs.

Doesn't like Run For Your Life. OK, the lyrics are certainly not in the usual Beatles mode in their misogyny, so on one level, I get why he'd disavow them. But it's also kind of chickenshit in its way. The Rolling Stones wrote lyrics like it (and worse) and I don't think I've seen them making any mea culpas, even if they were embarrassed after the fact. Musically, I think the song is pretty damn good and is a good representation of mid-period Beatles. I've always liked it a counter-balance to some fluff on Rubber Soul like Girl (which, in my opinion, is terrible and one of their worst songs).

He also hated And Your Bird Can Sing, which I've always thought was ace.

I think John's opinions on things get caught in a certain time and place. In the 70s, when many of his opinions on Beatles songs are culled from, some of the songs he didn't care for were considered uncool because the creative forces that created them weren't in favor at the time.

Take And Your Bird Can Sing. In the context of what was cool in the 70s, it could and would be criticized because it was lyrically lightweight. But John barely lived long enough to see how influential that song was on some of the power pop (some of which he was alive to see) and college radio bands (which he wasn't) that revered it.

It's not fair to John, really. If Paul McCartney had been shot in 1980 instead of him, he'd have been prisoner to all of his views at the time too, some of which are now different/evolved.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

John Lennon also thought he had a better voice for "Oh, Darling!" He was whiny.

Draft saved Draft deleted